Red, fiery hair is hard to look away from because of how captivating and beautiful it is. Lucky women born with this unique hair color make their hair a part of their identity.
But being a redhead doesn’t just automatically give you a pass for sporting luscious, vibrant hair all your life.
For many natural redheads, their gorgeous color starts fading as they age. For some, their vibrant red can darken into a dull brown as they get older.
One way to maintain your natural red hair and keep it healthy and glossy is to pick out the right shampoo and conditioner. With these under your belt, you can flaunt gorgeous red hair longer without worrying about fading and darkening.
Don’t know which shampoo and conditioner set to choose? Read on to see the best ones out there for beautiful redheads like you.
Our top picks: The best of the best
Technically, you can use any shampoo and conditioner on your naturally red hair. It isn’t like bottle-red hair where you have to meticulously choose one that won’t fade your color quickly or stain your skin if your color bleeds.
But not all shampoos and conditioners are made equal. Some are better for your hair’s overall health, while others work extra hard to protect your rich, natural red from fading or dulling over time.
L’Oreal Color Vibrancy Intensive Shampoo and Conditioner – Best for Overall
Summary box: This shampoo and conditioner set by L’Oreal provides everything your red hair needs—protection from color-fading, nourishing nutrients, and softness and shine after wash day.
Review: While this shampoo and conditioner were designed primarily for color-treated hair, it still makes for an excellent system for naturally red hair that needs the same protection from fading.
The formula contains ceramides and arginine to moisturize and strengthen your hair. It’s also infused with antioxidants to protect your hair from the elements, keeping it healthy. Together, these ingredients ensure that your hair feels soft and looks shiny when you step out of the shower.
These products have built-in UV filters that shield your sun from UV damage when you’re outside. This is very helpful for keeping your red color in place, since the sun can help fade hair colors quickly.
YouTuber Beauty by Kristy attests to how this shampoo and conditioner maintains her hair color. “I washed my hair two or three times already…and it hasn’t faded my hair at all,” she said in one of her videos. “That’s a huge plus in my book!”
- Keeps your hair color vibrant and bold
- Ceramides, antioxidants, and arginine nourish and strengthen your strands
- Has UV filters to protect your hair from sun exposure
- Your hair stays soft and shiny after use
- The formula can be too strong for sensitive scalps
Why buy this? This is a must if you want to protect your red color from fading but go outdoors often. Its special UV filters will help prevent fading even when your gorgeous red locks are exposed to the sun, allowing you to keep them bold and beautiful for a long time.
Joico Color Infuse Shampoo and Conditioner Set – Best for Enhancing Color
Summary box: Enhance your natural red hair by making it more bold and eye-catching. This Joico shampoo and conditioner infuses red pigments into your hair while protecting it from potential damage.
Review: This shampoo and conditioner set was designed by Joico to protect and enhance red hair. While the shampoo gently washes away dirt and impurities from your hair, the conditioner nourishes the hair.
Both are made with red pigments that are deposited into your strands to make your red color stand out even more. So if you want a brighter and more intense shade of red than you currently sport, try this out.
The products are formulated with Joico’s unique, antioxidant-rich Multi-Spectrum Defense Complex, which helps protect your hair from pollutants and other damage-causing stressors.
After using both products, your fiery red hair will look shiny and luminous, giving your strands a healthier, more radiant look overall.
- Gently washes dirt and impurities from your hair
- Infuses your hair with red pigments for a brighter, more intense shade
- Has a unique Multi-Spectrum Defense Complex to protect hair from damage
- Adds beautiful luminosity to your strands for a healthier look
- The shampoo can be drying, so you always need to follow up with the conditioner
Why buy this? If your red hair isn’t fiery enough for your liking, try out this color-depositing shampoo and conditioner. It’s a great way to enhance the color you already have and make it brighter and more vibrant.
It’s also a great option if you like cosplaying or going to costume parties and want your red hair to be extra captivating for a specific costume.
The runners-up: Three more products you’ll love
While I love those two shampoo and conditioner sets mentioned above, you shouldn’t limit yourself to just those options. There are many other duos that will do natural red hair good. Here are some of the ones I know to work incredibly well for adding shine or protecting color:
WOW Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo and Hair Conditioner Set – Best for Shine
Summary box: These natural products work to add gloss and shine back to your hair, capturing attention so people can appreciate your red locks better. ACV in the shampoo works to add luminosity to your hair, while vegetable oils in the conditioner nourish and moisturize for extra glow.
Review: Check out this shampoo and conditioner from WOW if you want to try one with natural ingredients. The best thing about this set is how intensely shiny your hair will look after one wash.
The shampoo is formulated with apple cider vinegar, which purifies the hair and washes away stubborn grime and build-up from your products. This leads to insane shine and gloss to make your hair look healthy and alive.
Meanwhile, the conditioner is rich in nourishing vegetable oils like virgin coconut oil, avocado oil, almond oil, olive oil, and more. These moisturize your hair, adding even more luminosity to your mane.
- Apple cider vinegar removes build-up in your hair and adds intense shine
- Provides intense moisture thanks to coconut and avocado oils
- Leaves your hair smelling like sweet apples and coconuts
- Doesn’t contain irritating ingredients like parabens and silicones
- Each bottle contains 500ml of product
- The conditioner can be too oily if you already have an oily scalp to begin with
Why buy this? If you’re already happy with your natural red color, this shampoo and conditioner set helps you show it off. The products give you immense shine, allowing you to put your gorgeous red locks in the limelight for everyone to notice.
Desert Essence Italian Red Grape Shampoo and Conditioner – Best for Color Protection
Summary box: Experience the benefits of antioxidant-rich grapes with this shampoo and conditioner by Desert Essence. They preserve your natural red color while protecting your hair from any damage.
Review: This duo is made with Italian grape extracts and resveratrol, both known to preserve the color of your hair, both natural and color-treated. It’s perfect for maintaining your natural red hair.
The formula is rich in antioxidants that serve as UV filters to protect your locks from sun damage, which can fade your beautiful red color. It also has organic extracts like aloe vera, kelp, and nettle to leave your hair hydrated, soft, and more manageable as you style it.
- Italian grape extracts and resveratrol preserve the color of your hair
- Antioxidants serve as UV filters to protect your hair from the sun
- Organic extracts leave the hair softer and more manageable
- Adds a layer of hydration to your hair for subtle shine
- Doesn’t contain harsh ingredients like parabens, phosphates, and petrolatum
- The fragrance is strong and chemical-like
Why buy this? If you’ve been meaning to try resveratrol products derived from wine and grapes, this is your chance. It’s hard to find shampoos and conditioners containing color-protecting resveratrol, so don’t sleep on this one.
Love Beauty and Planet Murumuru Butter & Rose Shampoo and Conditioner – Best Fragrance
Summary box: Make your red hair more vibrant while leaving it smelling fresh and floral with this shampoo and conditioner set by Love Beauty Planet. Murumuru butter makes your color brighter for a more captivating hairdo.
Review: Like most Love Beauty and Planet shampoos and conditioners, these are infused with organic, ethically sourced coconut oil to moisturize your hair and add a gorgeous shine to show off your red hair.
It has Amazonian murumuru butter to brighten up your hair color for a more intense and vibrant look. It also helps protect your hair color from fading.
The formula also has Bulgarian rose petals that give your hair a fresh and floral smell. It’s perfect for anyone who loves the smell of natural flora.
This set’s gorgeous smell is one of content creator Maya Rehman’s favorite things about it. “It has such a strong yet clean scent. It’s not going to give you a headache or anything!” she gushes in her review video. “It smelled so good and clean and fresh…this is like a 10!”
- Infused with organic coconut oil to add shine and moisture to your locks
- Murumuru butter protects your hair color to keep it from fading
- Leaves your hair smelling like fresh and sweet roses
- Doesn’t contain silicones, parabens, and dyes
- Never tested on animals
- Conditioner can weigh your hair down if applied to the roots
Why buy this? If you’re trying to be more responsible with your purchases by going for organic ingredients that aren’t tested on animals, try out this shampoo and conditioner. You hit two birds with one stone—caring for your beautiful red hair while choosing clean and eco-friendly beauty products.
3 Things To Consider When Buying
While there are no hard limits for what kind of shampoo and conditioner you should use on your naturally red hair, there are a few factors you may want to consider. Here are some of the most crucial ones:
- Keeps your hair a solid red color: You may want to purchase a shampoo and conditioner set made specifically for enhancing a red color. These can include toning shampoos that remove brassiness to let your true red shine through, or color-depositing conditioners that give you a rich red tinge.
- Prevents your natural red from fading: You could also go for color-protecting shampoos that don’t let your natural color fade over time. These shampoos are usually sulfate-free so as not to rough up your hair cuticles and release the melanin that holds your natural pigments. Going for shampoos like these is an excellent way to retain your bold red color throughout the years.
- Adds shine and moisture: What better way to show off your beautiful red hair than with luminosity and shine in your strands? Make sure that your shampoo and conditioner are infused with nourishing ingredients that can add a beautiful gloss to your mane. Ingredients to watch out for include coconut oil, argan oil, and shea butter.
Are sulfates bad for natural red hair?
Sulfates are not necessarily bad for natural red hair, but they can be drying and stripping for any hair type. If you have dehydrated locks, it may be wise to stay away from shampoos with sulfates so as not to aggravate your hair’s condition.
Can I use shampoos designed for color-treated hair if I’m a natural redhead?
Yes, color-protecting shampoos still help preserve your color even if you’re a natural redhead. So while you may not be the primary target market of these products, you’ll still benefit from the color-enhancing properties and sport vibrant red locks for a long time.
Should I shampoo and condition my hair every day?
It depends. If you tend to sweat every day and have an extra oily scalp, you can wash your hair daily if it makes you more comfortable. If you live in a colder area and don’t produce that much excess sebum in your scalp, you can wait a few days between wash days.
Just remember that washing too often can dehydrate your hair. Meanwhile, allowing your hair to get overly greasy and oily risks congestion on your scalp, leading to flaking and itchiness.
Maintaining your red hair shouldn’t be a huge hassle. After all, it’s your natural hair pigment—not anything out of a bottle you have to get touch-ups for.
A good shampoo and conditioner will be enough to take care of your hair’s health and keep your luscious, sultry color vibrant. Any of the ones mentioned above will do wonders for your natural red hair.
Whether your main concern is keeping your red from fading or adding more shine to show off your natural color, there’s always something on this list for you.
- Our top picks: The best of the best
- The runners-up: Three more products you’ll love
- 3 Things To Consider When Buying