Having thick and voluminous hair is great but the problem of tangled hair is always threatening to the overall health of your hair.
Unfortunately, knots and tangles do not only occur to curly, coily, spiral, damaged and chemically treated hair (although they are more prone to it) but tend to attack straight, long and short hair as well. This leads to painful combing sessions, hair breakage and loss of hair elasticity.
However, for detangling you can not ONLY rely on combing your hair properly. This rather tiresome process of detangling can be made quite easier and smoother by choosing the right products such as a good detangler shampoo and a conditioner.
In this article, we will recommend you the 4 best shampoos and 4 best conditioners for tangled hair followed by our top picks based on our direct ratings, recommendations and reviews, so your tresses can be knot free!
What Factors Are Important To Look For In The Best Shampoos And Conditioners For Tangled Hair?
There are a few things you should consider before buying the best shampoo for tangled hair:
It is highly important to choose the right shampoo and conditioner with the right and suitable ingredients that impart moisture as well as seal it inside the locks, if you wish to combat tangled hair.
Look for the following ingredients before buying the best shampoo and conditioner for tangled hair. If there is any one or more of these ingredients present in it, you are good to go!
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera contains healthy vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids and fatty acids that are critical to repair hair damage and condition your hair to make them smooth, silky and tangle free. It greatly adds moisture to your hair.
- Cocoa Butter: Cocoa butter is another rich moisturizing cream-like agent that works to tame frizz and reduce dryness, leading to more shine, silk and easy manageability without knots and tangles.
- Moisturizing oils: Oils like Jojoba, Coconut, Almond, Argan, Red Palm, Flax Seed and Avocado Oils are enriched in Vitamin E and thus famous for penetrating deep into the scalp and lending healthy moisture into your tresses for a tangle-free experience.
- Shea Butter: Having emollient and anti-inflammatory properties, shea butter smooths the hair follicles which adds shine to dry hair. It also acts as a humectant agent. Humectants bond with water molecules to add moisture to the strands and lend natural shine and luster to the hair to combat tangles.
- Glycerin: Popular as a softening agent, glycerin binds with water well to hydrate, nourish and moisturize the tresses to reduce tangle formation.
Because of clinical and chemical formulations, detangling shampoos and conditioners have rather unpleasant or very strong odour.
For me, a nice and pleasant fragrance and scent in a detangling shampoo and conditioner always provides a soothing and revitalizing experience while reducing dryness and helping with tangles; that adds to the whole multi-sensory process of hair washing.
Paraben is a very common chemical compound present in most of the cosmetic, hair and body care products. It is used as an artificial preservative to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold thus increasing the shelf life of the product.
However, parabens tend to be overly harsh on the scalp and the hair. A good shampoo and conditioner for tangled hair should definitely NOT include Parabens.
With parabens, the scalp can get brittle, painful, swollen and dry resulting in damaged texture and intertwining of the strands.
The 4 Best Shampoos for Tangled Hair
|Product||Chief ingredients||Ideal for||Rating|
|BIOLAGE HydraSource Detangling Solution||Aloe Vera, Glycerine, Citric Acid||Dry, Color Treated Hair||4.8/5|
|Creme of Nature Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo||Coconut Milk||Normal Hair||4.7/5|
|Fairy Tales Tangle Tamer Super Charge Detangling Shampoo||Keratin, Vitamin B and E, Jojoba Oil||All Hair Types||4.6/5|
|Shea Moisture Hi-Slip Detangling Shampoo||Cocoa Butter, Red Palm Oil, FlaxSeed Oil||Curly||4.5/5|
1. The Best Over all- BIOLAGE HydraSource Detangling Solution
The list of my Top Picks successfully meet the criteria of the aforementioned factors necessary for a great detangling shampoo, but if I have to choose the one amongst the lot, I would opt for the BIOLAGE HydraSource Detangling Solution.
Why Biolage HydraSource Detangling Solution?
With the tagline “Quench your thirst for beautiful hair”, the Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution shampoo actually seeks to hydrate the deprived hair strands. What we love about this shampoo is that it exclusively focuses on the main problem of dry and tangled hair without deviating from the focal point.
It starts from controlling static and flyaways to control frizzy hair that leads to tangles and knots while also providing the hair with required healthy moisture to detangle the already tangled hair.
But why have I specifically chosen this product as the best? Let us quickly explore!
|Infusion of natural ingredients||4.7/5|
|Value for money||4.5/5|
The Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution shampoo is mainly infused with the rich moisture of the evergreen Aloe plant that never seems to dry.
I love the fact that Biolage Hydrasource has clearly made a good and healthy choice here to incorporate completely natural Aloe Vera.
The infusion of Aloe Vera not only promises to instantly detangle the hair that is suffering from knots and tangles but also gives the added benefit of reducing frizz, static and flyaways so the further potential threat of tangle formation is minimized.
On the other hand, the addition of Glycerin in the formula helps to renew the lost moisture and seal it inside the scalp to lend shine and smoothness.
Moreover, Citric acid works its magic to help maintain the pH level of the scalp for healthy hair while also imparting gloss for a tangle free experience.
I believe that together this formulation works best to detangle as well as preventing further damage to the hair by optimizing healthy moisture balance. So, the formula is versatile, lightweight yet moisturizing.
Imparts balanced moisture without weighing the hair down
This is a very important factor to consider because usually moisturizing ingredients tend to give that oily look and weigh the hair down. I personally had experiences of such products with essential oils that made my hair soft but oily.
However, this detangling shampoo imparts a subtle and healthy moisture level to the hair without weighing it down.
Suitable for color treated hair
Due to its lightweight formula, it is suitable for not just all hair types but also chemically and color treated hair. I would strongly recommend it for dry and brittle hair as well.
Dual purpose detangler
While it can be used as a detangler shampoo for all hair types, you can also use it as a conditioner alone if you have very fine hair.
Amazing sensorial experience
If you follow my guides religiously, you must be aware how much I stress upon a great multi-sensory experience when it comes to hair wash.
This shampoo with its impressive fragrance and indulgent formula brings together an overall immersive sensory experience which makes me enjoy the whole hair washing regimen by many folds.
As already mentioned, parabens are not only harsh to the hair but also tend to irritate the scalp, fade hair color and cause hair loss.
This product is entirely free from parabens which again makes it a great choice for chemically and color treated hair.
Works great for curly hair
Not every product is capable of handling the rough texture of curly and coily hair. But Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution has made sure to target the impossible tangles in curly, kinky and coily hair as well.
So, people with curls and coils can equally flaunt their beautiful locks and quench their thirst with this super hydrated and gentle product by Biolage.
Commitment to sustainability
I love sustainable products and Biolage adheres to their commitment to sustainability by investing in green chemistry for formulations.
Their manufacturing is responsible and is used by renewable energy that is committed to reduce water consumption. Moreover, their bottles are over 90% Post Consumer Resin (PCR) plastic.
The packaging and shape of the product is very odd. It is tapered at the bottom and the plastic bottle is hard to press and you have to squeeze hard to get the product out.
It especially irritates me when you have to use it till the end. The weird shape also makes it a clumsy choice and I often find myself dropping it and reaching for it from the shower floor during the baths.
High price point w.r.t quantity
A 13 Fl Oz bottle costs a full $21.00 so I would not call it an affordable option. As mentioned above, the value is good for money but the quantity is not worth the price because the quantity is not much.
So in a way, the product does not last long. You can see other top listed products with the same quantity but in the price range of not more than $9.00.
The scent is impressive and heavenly with a blend of 27 different signature notes of Biolage that together makes up an irresistible fragrance. The main fragrance is of light Lavender.
Moreover, I found out that the scent lasts for a very long time. And although long lasting, it is not a typical chemical like smell but very pleasant and so people who are sensitive to scents would like this fragrance too!
How does it feel on the scalp?
The consistency is runny yet a bit on the creamier side as well.
Basically, it is somewhere in the middle between thick and thin which calls out for a nice and balanced consistency and yet you have to take a little more than the required amount to be put into your scalp. For my average length hair, 3 big plumps were good to go.
Just take out the required quantity as per your hair length. Rub it on your palms and spread it all over the damp scalp and wet hair. Begin massaging the product gently onto the scalp going towards the tips. Leave it for 3 minutes. Rinse well with cold or lukewarm water. Repeat if required.
The product felt very light weight on the scalp upon applying. It wasn’t tingly nor with a very cooling effect. So for me, it was a bonus as I do not like extra and unexpected feels on the scalps.
However, I would call it more like a very soothing feel on the scalp. The Aloe Vera leaf extract actually felt like it penetrated deep into the scalp. As I massaged the product into the scalp and the hair, the lather formed rather quickly and the luscious fragrance made the hair washing session more enjoyable.
After 3 minutes, I rinsed off the product. I would say the shampoo was quite easy to wash off without requiring extra effort.
After a quick rinse, the hair felt tangle free and smooth. After being dried, the hair felt amazingly soft, nourished, and hydrated especially from the ends. The moisture was not a greasy type but really felt light-weight on the scalp, just as the brand claims, so the scalp also felt hydrated, clean, and fresh.
Results after using it for a week?
I did a one week test and washed my hair with this shampoo around 3 times and found out that:
- The hair felt amazingly detangled. I ran a comb in my hair gently while my hair was damp and I found out that the hair is not getting tangled at all! It was a surprise for me how quickly it delivered the result.
- The hair felt amazingly moisturized without imparting a greasy look and the strands were not intertwining with each other hence no further tangles were being formed because of the immaculate yet refreshing sort of smoothness.
- The lovely scent lingered on for straight 2 days.
Now let us look at some personal reviews closely from full-time customers and bloggers.
“The brush slipped right through my strands as if I had put a leave-in conditioner and a detangler in as well—but it was all due to the Hydrasource Shampoo and Conditioner. Blow drying wasn’t only easy, since the brush continued to slip right through my hair, but it also left me with a super silky, frizz-free blowout that took to the rest of my heat-styling routine easily.” – Jenn Sinrich, Beauty writer and content strategist
“I have curly hair that gets tangled often and my husband brought this. At first, I was adamant to return it because I felt it would not work on my coily spirals but voila! I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how good it detangles my hair. Plus, I am forever grateful for the shiny and sleek look it gives!” – Amanda Nicholes
2. Best for Normal tangled hair – Creme of Nature Detangling & Conditioning Shampoo
The Creme of Nature detangling and conditioning shampoo is formulated with the richness of coconut milk and coconut oil.
The natural fatty acids present in the coconut milk ensure excellent moisturization to restore dry and damaged scalp. This helps in preventing tangles and knots.
Run the comb into your hair and feel the tangles getting free! By proper usage of this product, you will actually find your hair detangled, nourished and shiny.
- Nourishes starved hair and imparts a good slip due to infusion of rich coconut milk.
- Certified natural ingredients.
- Lovely fragrance of tropical coconut.
- Budget friendly.
- Contains Sulfates that may strip the hair color, thus it is not a great choice for colored hair.
- Limited suitability; does not work well for black, curly or other difficult textured hair. It is only exclusively good enough for normal hair.
3. Best for gentle treatment of unruly knots – Fairy Tales Tangle Tamer Super Charge Detangling Shampoo
You must be amazed by seeing a kids’ shampoo in my list but trust me this detangling shampoo works too good for stubborn knots and unruly hair even if you are an adult.
This has been possible because of its formulation with top-notch ingredients like natural Jojoba Oil and Aloe Vera leaf extract that help smoothen and moisturize the hair greatly to influence and unlock its detangling power.
On the other hand, Keratin and a proprietary blend of Provitamins B and E ensure good manageability and prevent hair breakage. The super charged formula altogether prevents any further tangles.
- Tames very unruly knots and hair. Also great for curly hair.
- Suitable for both kids and adults. Provides a very gentle treatment for the scalp.
- Great for daily use.
- Removes static and frizz. Adds shine.
- Completely free from harsh ingredients and allergens; Sulfates, parabens, gluten, phthalates, soy, nut and dairy free.
- Needs a good amount to be used. Does not only work with a couple of plumps.
- Requires proper rinsing; can leave hair a bit oily and sticky if not rinsed well enough.
4. Best for Afro-American and curly hair – Shea Moisture Hi-Slip Detangling Shampoo
As the name denotes, it gives a good hi-slip when applied to tangled hair. People with curly hair must be aware about the struggle of maintaining their curls elongated and shiny and preventing them from shrinking and tightening. These types of hair also are more prone to shrinkage and unruly tangles.
Packed with the goodness of red palm oil, cocoa butter and fair trade shea butter, this product facilitates in imparting rich moisture and hydration to your tresses.
The flaxseed oil has active antioxidants and anti-shrinkage properties that work to unleash softness, flawless shine and tangle free curls!
- Good for its price; a full 13 Fl Oz. bottle costs only $8.95.
- Transforms shrinkage-prone hair into luxurious and soft curls.
- Cruelty free. Never tested on animals.
- Hair additionally feels super refreshed and clean for a longer time.
- Sulfates, Silicones, Parabens, Phthaletes, Mineral Oil and Petrolatum free. Color safe formula.
- Maybe a bit waxy and greasy for oily scalps. May weigh the hair down.
- Watery and very thin consistency.
The 4 Best Conditioners for Tangled Hair
|Product||Chief Ingredients||Ideal for||Rating|
|Infusium Moisturize and Replenish Professional Conditioner||Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Vitamin B-5||Dull and Dry Hair||4.8/5|
|MATRIX Total Results Mega Sleek Conditioner||Shea Butter||Unruly hair||4.7/5|
|L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Super Detangling Conditioner||Castor Oil, Vitamin B-3 and Vitamin B-5||Fine Hair||4.6/5|
|Design Essentials Natural Super Moisturizing and Detangling Conditioner||Almond Oil, Avocado Oil||Wavy, Color Treated, Dry, Curly, Thick, Textured, Coily||4.6/5|
1. The Best Over all – Infusium Moisturize and Replenish Professional Conditioner
Why Infusium Moisturize and Replenish Professional Conditioner?
The name of Infusium and professional hair treatment go hand in hand. We all know that tangled hair is a serious problem and can not be only dealt with using a couple of essential oils then and now. In my opinion, some hair problems demand qualitative salon-like treatments and repeated tangles is one of them.
Infusium’s main motto is to provide professional salon-like treatments at home and I must say it has been up to the mark when it comes to solving several hair problems and improving the health of your tresses.
|Infusion of natural ingredients||4.7/5|
|Value for money||4.8/5|
The Infusium Moisturize and Replenish Professional Conditioner is formulated with top-notch ingredients like the i-23 Complex which is a customized blend of proteins and conditioning agents.
The i-23 complex is blended with pro-vitamins, proteins and amino acids to deliver shiny, beautiful, and healthy-looking hair. I-23 also contains vitamins, essential fatty acids, panthenol (vitamin B-5), moisturizers, and humectants. This altogether replenishes and restructures the hair.
Moreover, now Infusium has taken a step forward by incorporating natural oils like Olive and Avocado Oil. Olive oil in this new formula hydrates dull and dry hair and provides essential and healthy moisture to the hair while Avocado oil works as a great detangler. This ensures a tangle-free combing and sleek and shiny results.
For me, honestly adding these oils in the formula was the best part.
This is because I was always afraid of trying out complex yet top-grade salon ingredients at home and dreaded the side effects but the inclusion of my favorite oils attracted me to this product and after using it I must say this has been one of the best conditioners I have ever used!
A blend of professional and close to nature treatment
An unusual yet pleasant blend of superior professional proteins and vitamins with Olive and Avocado Oils leave the hair 6 times more moisturized than other conditioning products.
This extra moisturization completely strives to solve the problem of unruly tangles and I must say it has done the job quite well.
By the sound of it, professional treatment shampoos or conditioners are very pricey because of the expensive ingredients they put in. So basically value comes at a price.
However, what amazed me was how budget-friendly this conditioner was and yet at the same time delivered immaculate results. A full 13.5Fl Oz bottle costs only $11.
I am a fan of beautiful packaging and Infusium’s beautiful and bold plum color has my heart. The bottle also is easy to hold and is very steady in usage.
A little goes a long way
Well, it is a conditioner so of course a few coin sized amounts should be enough but in this case, a single coin sized amount was more than sufficient to cover the whole hair so the quantity is worth going for.
Works for even very damaged hair
While there may be a lot of products in the market, not all are capable of handling very damaged hair. In this case, it also shines in the limelight for bringing out excellent results for extremely dry and damaged hair.
Furthermore, it is suitable for ALL hair types.
Free from harsh ingredients
This conditioner is free from parabens, phthalates, petrolatum, aluminum and dyes.
May be a bit greasy for very oily scalps if not rinsed properly.
It features their signature classic soothing scent which is a blend of pink lady apple, solar tuberose and soft musk. A very subtle yet lusciously amazing fragrance calls for a lovely olfactory experience.
How does it feel on the hair?
Because you do not put conditioner on the scalp, I found it very nice and creamy on my hair. The smell was heavenly and the hair did not feel coated with lumps or anything. It felt very light weight on the hair.
Just take out a coin sized amount of conditioner in your palm if you have average length hair. If you have very long hair, you can take around one and a half coin sized amounts. Rub the product in your palms and begin applying it to your hair. Remember, shampoos are for scalps and conditioners for the hair.
Apply on wet and damp hair paying special attention to the tips of your hair. Leave it there for 3-5 minutes. Rinse off well with lukewarm water.
After rinsing, the hair felt super moisturized, shiny and detangled. All my tangles in shower were literally gone. I waited for the hair to get dried so I could see the final results and after air drying my hair, I literally found no tangle in my hair while I combed through it. The hair brushing felt very effortless and easy too!
Results after using it for a week
Just like my detangler Biolage hydrasource shampoo, I used Infusium conditioner for a week and applied it three times and found out that
- My hair was super moisturized and soft like feathers.
- There was not a single knot when I brushed my hair down. Once I checked it early in the morning and ran my comb through the hair randomly and the brushing went super smooth!
- The moisture was light weight. I skipped hair washing for two days in the middle and there was still no grease and hair looked super fresh.
Now let us look at some personal reviews closely from full-time customers and bloggers.
“The Infusium was recommended to me by my friend and it worked great on my curls! After a few days, I saw no frizz or flyaways on my hair and the curls looked controlled and natural, not too stiff. Loved it!” – Vlogger Annie from Simple Faith by Annie.
“I have been using the Infusium Moisture and Replenish Conditioner for 20 long years. I have thick, straight and color treated hair and I am so glad it has still lived up to my expectations. I tried switching to another brand just for a change but the results were horrible.
Then again tried a couple more brands but there were problems with each of them; some left the hair soft yet greasy, others gave an impression of a wax build up and a few did not really detangle my hair. With Infusium, I can announce to the world how amazing it is in terms of performance, results, scent, detangling and oh. Also the price!” – Sarah Lyan
2. Best for Frizz-prone hair – MATRIX Total Results Mega Sleek Conditioner
Bid farewell to dry, messy, straw-like and frizzy hair that gets tangled very often with the Matrix Total Results Mega Sleek Conditioner! As the name suggests, it works to remove knots and rebellious unruly knots from your hair to give you that sleek look you always wanted.
It has Shea Butter as an active ingredient which consists of Vitamins A and E and other essential fatty acids. All these work together to support and promote moisture and shine in otherwise frizzy and coarse hair.
The excellent thing about Shea Butter is that despite its amazing moisturizing capabilities, it is non greasy so during the process of detangling the hair, your hair won’t stick together.
Not only does it work to soften dry and brittle hair, but also may repair damaged hair and split ends to prevent more tangles.
- Suitable for all hair types and textures.
- Manages frizz, promotes shine and tames unruly aggressive tangles.
- Imparts grease-free moisture that gives a refreshed hair look.
- A little goes a long way. Sufficient and good quantity.
- Unpleasant smell.
- Very thick consistency due to which the product is hard to squeeze out from the pump.
3. Best Drugstore Conditioner for Long Tangled Hair – L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Super Detangling Conditioner
Keeping those lovely long tresses alive is always a challenge with tangles as the biggest obstacle in the way of smoothness. Knot now!
With L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Super Detangling Conditioner, saving your last inches from damage is possible.
This is because the formula is packed with a cocktail of vitamins; predominantly Vitamin B-3 and 5 plus fine castor oil; the combination of which works to improve strength in your strands so they do not intermix with each other as well nourishing dry scalp to lend a required moisture for smooth and tangle-free hair.
Castor oil also helps in promoting hair growth while Vitamin B3 and B5 work exclusively to seal split ends, hence along with the growth of new hair the taming of split ends would prevent knots from the ends as well.
- Detangles long hair very well and reduces breakage.
- Imparts good moisture but does not weigh the hair down.
- Delivers excellent results at the most affordable price; a full 12.5 Fl Oz. bottle costs only $3.95.
- Free from sulfates, parabens, dyes and silicones.
- Amazing and indulgent fragrance of sweet candy with notes of pomegranate, caramel orchid and milk sorbet.
- Climate pledge friendly. Sustainable packaging with bottles made of 94% recycled plastic.
- Tends to grease the scalps if applied too much near the roots. I would recommend not drenching your hair with it. Rather, apply just a little bit on the hair and more on the lengths and tips.
- Some people have complained of not sufficient hydration with this product.
4. Best for Curly and Relaxed hair – Design Essentials Natural Super Moisturizing and Detangling Conditioner
We all know how curly, coily and kinky textures of hair need more moisture than other hair types because the coils of the hair do not let the natural oils of the scalp go down to the hair shaft, which results in rough, dry and dehydrated hair.
Aiming to provide intense moisture and hydration to all types of curls, the Design Essentials Natural Super Moisturizing and Detangling Conditioner has almond and avocado oils included in its formula.
The avocado oil facilitates in strengthening the hair shaft and strands which prevents hair breakage and provides moisture. On the other hand, almond oil deeply nourishes the scalp so that each strand feels soft, manageable and knot-free.
This particular conditioner by Design Essentials has been proven to reduce the detangling time by upto 30 minutes, for even the most complicated and rough hair textures!
As a result, the hair is super smooth with no tangles yet a rich shine and luster.
- Replenishes moisture and leaves each strand feeling hydrated. Saves up your detangling time.
- Suitable for daily use.
- Unisex; suitable for men, women and children.
- Works for all kinds of curls from 2A-4C hair. Good for colored and chemically treated hair as well.
- Free from parabens, paraffins, petrolatum, and mineral oils.
- Every purchase is backed up by an official and verified Design Essentials guarantee.
- A bit on the pricier side.
- May be very heavy for fine hair.
- Has latex allergens like Avocado. People with latex-fruit syndrome or avocado intolerance should avoid this product completely.
Why do my hair get tangled?
Scientifically, the cuticle (outer layer of the hair) if exposed, leads to blockage which leads to hair strands wrapping around each other.
Similarly, some hair shedding is a natural part of the hair cycle but in the case of textured or already damaged hair, the hair does fall off but shed around other strands. In both of these cases, the strands get intertwined with each other, forming knots and big tangles.
While there may be different reasons and factors why your hair usually get tangled, some of the most common reasons are:
The hair is facing a lot of friction
Friction can be really damaging to your hair. When your hair rubs against a hard surface or even against a harsh clothing material such as a hard cotton pillowcase or bedding, it causes damage and hair breakage. Now you know why your hair is tangled when you wake up in the morning!
Similarly, if you rub a towel hard against your wet hair after shower, it promotes tangles and knots so it gets quite difficult brushing your hair in this case.
You went to bed with wet or open hair
If you somehow go to sleep with totally wet and open hair, it will cause the formation of tangles. Wet hair is also fragile so the formation of tangles is very much possible.
You did not brush your hair at all
If you procrastinate and go to bed without combing your hair or wake up and just tie your hair up without running a hair brush or comb in it, you will soon find tangles and knots in your hair.
This is because failure to comb leads to kinks and as a result accumulation of residue gradually forms tangles that are hard to get rid of.
I often get stubborn tangles in my hair. Is there a fool-proof method to detangle hair during shower?
I am glad you asked about it. With the right technique, you can easily detangle your hair while preventing damage. Once you have picked up a good shampoo and conditioner for your hair from the above list, start prepping up for a hair wash.
- Pour the required amount of shampoo into the palms of your hand and rub it together then apply it all over the hair, starting from roots to the tips. Lather up very gently and rinse off after 2-3 minutes.
- Now take a little more than the required amount of conditioner and gently dab onto the tips of your hair. You can ofcourse begin from the middle of your hair but avoid putting the conditioner directly in your scalp. Try not to force your hands through the tangles.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then start combing the ends of your hair with your fingers. This is because you want a gentler touch first to detangle the knots in the initial stage. You can also opt for a wide-tooth comb to do this job. At this point, you can put more conditioner as per the severity of the tangles.
- Once the ends are detangled, move up to the middle hair shaft towards the roots until all tangles are fixed.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and just dab ( do not rub ) with the towel or a cotton shirt a couple of times.
- Now you can run a wide-tooth comb into your hair as it gets air dried.
- You can also follow up with a leave-in conditioner when your hair is damp or after it is all dried up, depending on your preference and the kind of leave-in conditioner you are using.
- Keep spraying detangling conditioners every other day to combat frizz, dryness and flyaways that lead to tangles.
Besides using a good shampoo and conditioner for tangled hair, what other things can I do to prevent tangles and knots?
While a suitable shampoo and conditioner can help detangling the hair to a good extent, it is always best that you look for ways to avoid tangles altogether.
Comb your hair gently twice a day, everyday
A simple regimen such as combing your hair gently, properly and multiple times a day may seem like a very tough thing to do for many people but it is actually the first step you can take towards avoiding tangles.
Combing at least twice a day, once in the morning and once in the night before sleeping helps in distributing natural oils of the scalp all over the hair which promotes good hair health and splits any potential intertwining of the strands.
However, you must remember not to do it aggressively because no matter how many times you comb a day, if you do it in a rough way, it will further damage the hair. Rather, comb your hair very gently and slowly.
Never brush your hair dry
Yes, I know that wet hair is at its most fragile state but combing into already dry hair drastically increases the chances of more tangle formation.
Invest in a good detangling brush
Detangling brushes do work. They come in different designs and sizes and even some are exclusively made to run into wet hair. With their ergonomic design, soft bristles and good performance, they may be a good option to go for.
You can also use a wide-toothed comb to gently get rid of all the tangles.
Do not rub the towel against your hair after shower aggressively
Instead, use a simple cotton t-shirt or even if you use a towel, make sure it’s a microfiber towel. Just tap it lightly on to your hair to soak the wetness.
Use a silk pillowcase to sleep
Using a silk or cotton satin pillowcase ensures minimal friction that may cause damage to the hair, while also retaining moisture as compared to cotton pillow cases that aggravate rubbing of the hair against the stiff cloth.
Tie your hair up before sleeping
Tying your hair in a loose braid or ponytail before going to bed is good to prevent knots and tangles. It is always best not to go to bed with open hair.
Tangles are quite a common occurrence but can easily be tackled by choosing the right product for your hair as well as following several prevention methods to avoid such a difficulty. I hope that through this guide, you may have gained a deeper understanding about tangled hair and the suitability of each product according to your hair type and texture!
However, remember that overnight results are a gimmick and you need to be consistent while using your desired product to see the final results.
We wish you smooth, silky strands free from any terrible tangles! Happy shampooing and conditioning your hair!