Standing out with a simple, cool but trendy hairstyle is a secret to boosting your confidence.
Let’s admit it! Getting a balayage hairstyle is the way to go and has taken the beauty community by storm.
It has an irresistible beauty that has left many influencers and celebrities rocking the hairstyle. When done properly, it leaves you with softer, less noticeable shaggy lines.
Balayage is a free-hand coloring technique that does not use foils, leaving you with a natural blended look and hardly noticeable regrowth lines. It involves hand painting natural hair with a brush in a sweeping manner to achieve a sun-kissed shiny look.
Since the 1970s, the balayage hairstyle has been a game-changer in the hair industry. It is said that when you want to brighten your day, try balayage!
Many people believe that opting for balayage hair is a cheaper alternative as it saves you hundreds of dollars in salon touch-ups and time. Is this really through!
Well, there is some truth to it, but that’s beside the point. Despite the fact that well-kept balayage hair leaves you feeling supernatural with a sun-kissed appearance, maintaining it can be very challenging if you do not use the right products.
What’s the secret to having ever-rocking balayage?
Blonde balayage looks good, cool and rocky when it’s new but becomes dull over time if you neglect it.
For blondies, exposure to heat, UV light and product build-up turns the balayage dirty yellow while that of brunettes often turns orangey.
However, you can combat these warm tones between salon appointments, by using hair shampoos with purple pigments for color therapy.
Shampoos with purple pigments not only neutralizes the brassiness in balayage, but also leave them with a soft texture. Moreover, some premium shampoo brands contain UV filters which guard the balayage hair from discoloring effect UV radiations.
When did you last get a balayage? Were you satisfied with how it looked? If not, then you probably chose the wrong shampoo for your balayage hair.
To help you out, we have rounded up the best shampoos for balayage hair that will leave your hair properly maintained.
The 10 Best Shampoo For Balayage Hair
|Martix total results brass off blue shampoo
|Best for color care
|L’Oreal Serie Expert Silver Shampoo
|Best for gloss protection in balayage hair
|ProVoke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo
|Best balayage hair shampoo for toning treatment
|Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo
|Best balayage hair shampoo for neutralizing color
|Oribe Shampoo for Beautiful Color
|Best balayage hair shampoo for ultra-gentle cleansing
|Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Hair Care
|Best anti-aging shampoo
|Redken Color Extend Blondage Color Depositing Purple Shampoo
|Best balayage hair shampoo for tone alignment
|KÉRASTASE Blond Absolu Bain Ultra-Violet Anti-Brass Purple Shampoo
|Best shampoo for hair health restoration
|Framesi Professional Color Lover Dynamic Blonde Purple Shampoo
|Best for enhancing an ultra-powerful tone to your balayage hair
|Scruples Platinum Shine Toning Shampoo
|Best for brightening dull balayage hair
Matrix total results brass off blue shampoo – Best overall
- Key benefit: Banish brass
- Function: Removes orange, brassy color tones
- Hairstyle: Best for lightened brunette
- Scent: Nectarine, Rose or Vanilla
Matrix shampoo is a professional clarifying solution that is best fit for neutralizing brassy hues in balayage hair. It is suitable for brunettes with light blonde hair as it adds a cool, bright and even tone tresses to faded balayage.
This brand tops our list because of the following reasons;
- It is a midrange product, thus making it affordable for everyone.
- It works well with any hair conditioner, therefore, giving optimum protection to your balayage even during adverse conditions
- It has orchid syrup for vibrancy which highlights colored locks, thus leaving you glowing and outstanding.
- It contains neutralizing dyes, which reduces unwanted orange undertones in balayage hair.
- It is suitable for a wide range of skin colors from dark blonde to light brunettes.
This shampoo has blue-violet pigments that removes traces of yellow or orange tones that often leaves balayage hair looking shaggy. The other cool feature of this shampoo is the added vitamin E oil which leaves your air moistened, nourished and strong.
Neat hair with a funny smell is a big put-off for many trendy hair enthusiasts. Luckily, Matrix total results brass off blue shampoo offers you a wide range of scents to choose from, including nectarine, rose or vanilla.
Overall ratings: 4.5 out of 5
- Leave your balayage hair with a cool and even tone
- Varied and pleasant scents
- Neutralize brassy hues in balayage hair
- Leave your hair moisturized and healthy
- It has staining components that can taint your skin
L’Oreal Serie Expert Magnesium Silver Shampoo
- Key benefit: Give grey and white balayage a healthy look and feel
- Function: Restore hair color by neutralizing dullness and brassiness
- Scent: Orange
- Hair type: Best for dull balayage
How on earth can you have a list of the best beauty products without including L’Oreal merchandise?
This is one of the best gloss protection shampoos, which is often used in nearly all saloons worldwide. The L’Oreal Serie Expert Magnesium Silver Shampoo is perfect for both grey and white balayage hair.
A buyer with orange hair experienced the beautiful change of her hair color after trying L’Oreal Serie Expert Magnesium Silver Shampoo consistently twice a week.
The youtuber said her hair was orange and after using the shampoo constantly twice a week, it turned into a beautiful color.
What features make it special?
- Neutralize any dullness or brassiness in balayage hair caused by the UV effect. This restores your balayage hair color to its original shade.
- Contain Amino Acids that are vital in restoring hair texture and purity
- Contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate, which disinfects hair and removes excess oils
- Contain Glycol Distearate which is an anti-aging component
Overall ratings: 4.2 out of 5
- Restore your hair’s color, thus leaving you with bright, clean hair
- Neutralize uneven brassy tones
- Prevent grey hair from popping out
- Pleasant fragrance
- Promote healthy and even hair growth
- Contains magnesium sulfates which can strip moisture and natural oils from your balayage hair leaving them dry and unhealthy
- Cannot be used with brown or dark balayage hair tones
- Might cause dryness and breakages if not applied properly
ProVoke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo – Best for budget option
- Key benefit: Neutralize brassy tones
- Function: Brighten and soften dull balayage
- Scent: Irresistible sweet lavender
- Hair type: Ideal for oily, dry and normal balayage
This colored hair shampoo contains components of acid violet 43 that neutralizes yellow and brassy tones in balayage hair. The violet 43 component is common in dyes and it ensures your balayage has an even and presentable color tone.
If you are looking to glow while on a budget, then the Voke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo is the ultimate option. It is specifically formulated for color-treated balayage hair. It is perfect for restoring hydration.
What makes this good for colored balayage hair?
- Salicylic acid that regulates the production of sebum. This ensures the production of sebum in adequate amounts hence saving you from the discomfort that comes from dry, flaky scalp all day long.
- Acid violet 43 which is often found in dyes. It provides a toning treatment which is vital in ensuring your hair looks like you are fresh from saloon all day long.
- Glycerin which is a natural oiling element that traps hair moisture, leaving you with an all-vibrant look.
Overall ratings: 4.4 out of 5
- Brightens dull hair leaving you with a healthy look
- It has a reasonable price tag
- Has acid violet 43, which treats fading in balayage hair
- Has UV filters which ensures hair color lasts
- Neutralizes reddish hair tones
- It cannot be used with darker shades of balayage
- Can trigger allergic reactions
Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo
- Key benefit: Preserve and promote hair vibrancy
- Function: Repair, strengthen and protect balayage hair
- Scent: Sweet fruity fragrance
- Hair type: Best for chemically treated balayage hair
Joico has a unique color-correcting formula that keeps brassy tones in chemically treated balayage hair at bay.
Moreover, this product has a considerable level of violet pigments that instantly attaches to the hair when used, therefore neutralizing yellowish color tones.
When your balayage hair loses its cool, a curative shampoo that ditches yellow tones is the best alternative.
Joico Color Balance Purple Shampoo is an excellent balayage hair shampoo. It has a unique formula that is designed to preserve highlighted, silvery balayage looks while preserving the vibrancy of chemically treated hair.
It is made from a blend of green tea extract, UV absorbers and antioxidants. Moreover, it has a smart release technology that triggers releasing of rosehip oil, keratin and arginine, which strengthens hair roots, thus ensuring optimum hair health.
For optimum results, apply after washing your balayage and leave it to sit for a while: 3-5 minutes would do. Thereafter, rinse it off with cold water. Apply at least twice a week.
Features that make this product great:
- It is paraben-free
- it has a long-lasting effect on balayage hair and can maintain your balayage in mint condition for over 12 washing rounds
Overall ratings: 4.4 out of 5
- Reverse brassiness and Enhance a shiny and smooth look
- It has nourishing nutrients which makes the hair roots strong therefore boosting the lifespan of balayage hair
- Lather well after use
- Contain UV absorbers that protect balayage from adverse weather conditions
- Might leave a sticky residue on your balayage
Oribe Shampoo for Beautiful Color
- Key benefit: Offer your balayage thick, shiny and healthy
- Function: Nourishe hair roots and Promotes hair growth
- Scent: Cote d’Azur
- Hair Type: Best for Color Treated balayage
Oribe is arguably one of the best shampoos for balayage hair. It won the “best shampoo for color-treated hair” award three consecutive times, from 2015 to 2017.
Here are the key components that make this brand unbeatable in the beauty industry
- Made from watermelon extracts containing essential amino acids and vitamins that nourish hair and promote hair growth.
- Contain lychee extract, which is rich in vitamin B&C which protects balayage hair from the effects of UV light.
- Contain Edelweiss flower sap extract that protects balayage hair against dryness and chemical damages.
Overall rating: 4.6 out of 5
- Enhance color vibrancy
- Hydrate and restore color in treated balayage hair
- Brighten dull balayage hair
- Contain UV filters which uses the sunscreen technology to retain hair moisture therefore preventing your balayage from fading
- Make hair balayage hair puffy
Alterna Cavier Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Hair Care
- Key benefit: Replenish lost moisture
- Function: Restore moisture and prevent color loss
- Hair type: Best for color-treated balayage hair
- Scent: Strong flora scent
This shampoo is made from Cavier extract components which are rich in Omega-3 Fatty acids which restores moisture, color and hair elasticity.
Omega-3 is also an important component in hair care and treatment thus preventing balayage hair from looking and feeling older.
It restores moisture content, elasticity and leaves your hair with a brittle look. This product is formulated with deluxe caviar extract supplements including vitamins, and minerals.
This ultimate Color Hold Collection helps defend and protect your balayage against factors causing hair to feel and look shaggy and brassy.
It is most suitable for straight, wavy, curly, and tightly coiled balayage hair.
It has a dual capture feature that enables it to prevent color loss for over 70 days. It can be used with several balayage shades.
Even though the shampoo is satisfactory, I really hate the packaging. It even gets worse because the shampoo is very thick, and to squeeze it out, you might need pliers if you have arthritis.
- It has caviar and aqua components which replenishes hair moisture and cleanses your scalp without accumulating unwanted minerals.
- Contain Silicon Ferments which form a protective layer over your balayage, thus protecting your balayage from effects of UV rays. This ensures your hair maintains an all-new look for a longer period.
- Contain Citric Acid, which reduces the effect brought about by dryness while prohibiting the growth of dandruff.
- Contain soybean oil which traps the hair’s moisture, therefore, protecting it from the effects of diverse weather.
- Especially, contain Cross Polymer, which is the main anti-aging component in Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Hair Care. It inhibits the formation of breakages.
Despite all these features, many buyers have complained about the poor packaging of this product, with one saying;
“I love Alterna Caviar hair products. Best ever. However, the packaging on these bottles makes it a wrestling match to get the product out. The top doesn’t twist off. Instead, it twists slightly.
You have to give the bottle a hard squeeze to get the product to flow through the small opening. The conditioner is much tougher to get out as the product is thicker.
Key is to twist the top in the opposite direction to close the opening after using. If you don’t, the product can solidify in between uses and clog the opening.”
Therefore, you should be extra careful when opening the bottle, or else you might lose it all!
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5
- Have UV filters that provide protection from direct sunlight and radiations
- Offer a shiny effect to your balayage hair
- Promote growth of hair
- Moisture scalp, thus preventing hair loss
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free
Redken Color Extend Blondage Color Depositing Purple Shampoo
- Key benefit: Tone brassiness in dull balayage
- Function: Restore hair color
- Hair type: Best for chemically treated balayage hair
- Scent: Sweet rosy scent
Redken Color Extend shampoo has UV pigment and components of triple acid protein complex that are vital in toning, strengthening and brightening dull balayage hair. This product is best for preserving color in chemically-treated blonde balayage.
This will keep your blonde looking healthy, cool with a straight-from-saloon feeling.
I really love the fact that every time I wash my hair, it makes the balayage almost a blue/purple-grey.
This will help tone any shades of highlighted blonde balayage to eliminate brassiness. With this, dull and heavy tresses are a thing of the past!
Overall rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Repair damaged balayage
- Eliminate hair brassiness
- Soften blonde balayage
- Keep undertones looking natural
- Strengthen weak hair
- The scent is too powerful which might affect allergic users
KÉRASTASE Blond Absolu Bain Ultra-Violet Anti-Brass Purple Shampoo
- Key benefit: Remove yellow undertones and balayage brassiness
- Function: Restore health to dull balayage hair
- Hair type: Ideal for blonde and grey balayage hair
- Scent: lovely edelweiss flower scent
What makes up a good balayage hair shampoo?
Well, this may vary according to your taste and type of hair. However, KÉRASTASE Blond Absolu Bain Ultra-Violet Anti-Brass Purple Shampoo contains amazing neutralizing agents which restore health to dull balayage hair.
This brand is best for brightening faux-blonde or gray hair to remove traces of unwanted tones. It contains components of hyaluronic acid and edelweiss flower sap which provide excellent nourishment for your hair.
The formula removes unwanted and uneven undertones leaving your hair looking fabulous while giving it a long life. It also boosts luminosity which makes hair fibers healthy. Additionally, it protects your hair from daily pollution and oxidation, leaving it soft all day long.
Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5
- Neutralize yellow undertone, thus leaving your balayage renewed
- Brighten dull hair
- Clean and soften hair
- Strengthen hair fibers
- Protect hair from effects of pollution like dust and prevents them from oxidation
- Might leave traces of purple streaks after use
Framesi Professional Color Lover Dynamic Blonde Purple Shampoo
- Key benefit: Preserve hair moisture
- Function: Excellent for maintaining cooler blonde
- Scent: Faint but sweet scent
- Hair type: Excellent for color-treated hair
It is a dark purple, intensely rich daily balayage hair shampoo which ensures an even and flowy undertone.
What makes it a go-to shampoo for balayage hair?
- Contain Quinoa which is a great air conditioning agent.
- Contain Proteins and Protectant components that preserves hair moisture leaving your balayage moisturized and nourished
- Do not contain any chemical components which protect your hair from decolonization, offer your hair brighter and soft
- Arguably one of the lightest brands in the market, so it will not cause any shampoo buildup.
Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5
- It is vegan
- Chemical-free (doesn’t have gluten and sulfates)
- Formulated minus sodium chlorides
- Be careful when pouring because consistency might be clumpy
- I hate the fact that it does not foam up when using it
Scruples Platinum Shine Toning Shampoo
- Key benefit: Ensures your balayage has an even color tone
- Function: Remove brassy tones from any tainted balayage hair
- Scent: Orange
- Hair type: Ideal for dull balayage hair
Are you concerned about your dull balayage? Just get the Scruples Platinum Shine Toning Shampoo to tone out unwanted colors.
It negates the unwelcomed yellow or brassy tones that leave your balayage looking shaggy and dull.
This purple shampoo is not only ideal for removing brassy tones but also natural blonde hair. With this, your blonde gets a richer and cooler tone that neutralizes the blonde hair.
The dark violet pigment in this shampoo is perfect for brightening your balayage. it leaves your hair with a beautiful and bright purple hue and a soft texture.
Last but not least, I love the fact that Scruples Platinum Shine Toning Shampoo does not contain any sulfate components. This means it cannot strip your balayage of its natural oils. This will keep the balayage soft and nourished, thus minimizing hair damages.
A user said this after trying the purple shampoo
“I came upon a “top 10 list” for purple shampoos. Scruples was on the list, so I decided to give it a try. It has more than exceeded my expectations!
When dealing with purple shampoos, the darker the purple, the better the shampoo… this one is near black! I have used it with varying degrees of blonde throughout the years though I have not had platinum. It always keeps my color looking as though it was touched up yesterday!”
Overall rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Brighten balayage hair
- Preserve your natural hair oils, therefore, keeping them healthy and soft
- it has a beautiful dark purple pigment that brightens dull balayage, leaving it with a beautiful purple hue
- Might leave a purple residue after us
How to choose the best shampoo for balayage hair?
One of the most flooded consumer markets is the beauty industry, with new products and companies being launched every day.
For this reason, there are several shampoos for balayage hair in the market. Most of these products are legit with all the legal documentation; however, not all are good.
So what should inform your choice when shopping for the best shampoo in the market? Read on.
Color protection abilities
A good hair shampoo should protect your hair from fading due to bad weather or any other conditions. For this reason, you should always opt for shampoos with UV light filters.
Should reduce hair brassiness
A good shampoo should have a color pigment that nullifies the brass tones on balayage hair, thus leaving the hair looking neat and bright.
What effect does the shampoo you use have on your hair? A good shampoo for balayage hair should help cleanse you without washing away the dye.
A gentle shampoo that has no sulfates will ensure your balayage hair lasts longer with little growths and an even tone.
General tips on how to take care of balayage hair
Balayage hair, unlike other hair coloring trends, does not require frequent salon visits and touch up to maintain. Here are simple tips to help you keep your balayage glowing for longer;
- Avoid washing your hair for 72 hours after getting your balayage done. This will ensure the coloring sets properly and ensure an even color tone.
- When washing, be gentle to minimize hair damage
- When styling your balayage, use the recommended heat protecting serum when styling your hair
- Avoid shampoos with components of sulfur and chlorides to wash your balayage
- Apply a serum with UV filters when going out for long hours or during sunny days. This will minimize heat damages
- Moisturize your balayage frequently to prevent drying up
- Use purple/silver shampoo to lock color texture and neutralize brassiness
- Use a hair conditioner that goes well with your hair and is compatible with the cleansing shampoo
- Do not hesitate to consult with your hairstylist if you notice any allergic reactions.
- Avoid chlorinated pools. Chlorine has a bleaching effect which will reap color out of your balayage
Can balayage hairstyle ruin my hair?
When balayage is processed properly using a tin foil, it cannot ruin your hair; however, despite the fact that a lot of balayage styles can be done without chemicals, the hair type matters.
You should console your stylist before settling on any balayage method to avoid disappointments.
Does rocking balayage look good on straight hair?
Balayage trends are famous with curly and wavy blondes, but this does not limit it to that.
Do I need specific shampoo for my balayage?
Yes, balayage is sensitive to chemicals, and there are specific shampoos for each balayage shade.
The appropriate shampoo will make your balayage smooth and moist without ruining its coloring.
How long does balayage last?
There is no specific answer for this. It depends on how well you maintain it.
If you use the right shampoo and hair conditioner, it can last up to 4 months.
How often should I use treatment shampoo for balayage hair?
It depends on your hair type and how soft and moist you want your hair to look.
If your hair is dry, it is advisable to use shampoo at least once a week to replenish oils and moisture which are vital in ensuring your hair is healthy.
What should I do after getting a balayage?
After getting a balayage, hair has a tendency of drying up. Therefore, getting a moisturizing treatment would be good.
After getting your balayage done, choosing the perfect shampoo is the next crucial step after. These shampoos, when chosen correctly, make your dye last longer without losing the color vibrancy.
Purple shampoos help in neutralizing the yellow undertone and brassy tinge in balayage hair. It leaves your hair moisturized, smooth and shiny.
Our personal endorsement would be “Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Shampoo“ which not only locks in the color but also has anti-aging properties which give you a fresh look and makes your hair look healthier. Furthermore, it protects your hair from the harmful radiation of the sun.
One thing we are certain about is that you would not regret buying any shampoo from our top 10 roundups to maintain your Balayage hair.