Waist-length hairstyles won’t give you a hard time managing when the best shampoo for long hair is incorporated into your hair care routine. Check out our list to find one!
For many women, hair that runs down far enough to cover the whole back is no doubt a source of pride. Yet, in time, it may turn out to be a trouble if not tended to properly.
Frizz, breakage, entanglements halfway to the end, dryness costing those massive volumes their lustrous look forever – these are only the beginning of the nightmares you may find eating away at your precious tresses.
The only solution is to be more fastidious in your selection of haircare products and load onto your bathroom rack the best shampoo for long hair.
As you wade through the endless releases of both old and new formulas, keep in mind that your own hair types and the ideal nutrients for them are the pathways to a remorse-free purchase.
Our guide will reveal more on this topic, so stay tuned!
Our Top Picks
|Product||Ingredients||Hair Types||With or Without Sulfate||Recommended for|
|L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5||Protein for hair construction, rapeseed oil, and more||All hair types||Sulfate-free||
|PURE NATURE LUX SPA Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo||Moroccan argan oil||All hair types||Sulfate-free||
|SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo||Coconut oil, hibiscus, and vitamin E||Curly hair and others||Sulfate-free||
3 Things To Consider When Buying The Best Shampoo For Long Hair
Is it safe to say that your hair stays knot-free, grease-free, manageable after going days without washing? Then consider yourself lucky to be blessed with normal hair!
Precautions hardly come in the list, as your mane is built with enough resilience to escape the daily wear and tear.
The one trick to sustain that low-maintenance nature is to use mild shampoos, with plenty of conditioning agents and botanical extracts.
Your shafts are weakened from within, leading to a coarser feeling on your fingers upon contact.
Unless intervened in time, the outer layer would break down, inviting frays, split ends, and entanglements to come for a visit.
It’s a relief that you can try to reverse the situation with shampoo high in reparative contents – keratin and protein should be your first stop as they’re a part of your hair’s structure.
Don’t forget that vitamin E or B for strengthening effects are more than welcome.
Our scalp secretes a natural oil to keep the follicles safe from outside impacts. But in some cases, the production might go overboard, leaving your hair all greasy with a string-like visual that no woman enjoys.
Shifting to clarifying shampoos would be the very first step in clearing these oily residues. These reasonably acidic hair products are preferred by beauty geeks with the way they loosen up the greasy residue clogging your scalp.
Specific anti-dandruff cleansing agents, such as salicylic acid, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, etc., are your only way out.
Their antibacterial, antifungal and moisturizing properties work wonders in healing your irritated scalp, preventing crusty bits from rearing their ugly head.
Qualities and Properties
If you are looking for putting together a wash routine that shows rapid improvements, consider stocking up on shampoos that include:
- Biotin: An all-around vitamin B that our nails, skin, and, of course, hair won’t be in the greatest shape for long without
- Argan: A restorative ingredient to salvage hair issues of any kind, ranging from frizz, lack of moisture, damage by heat, grease, and whatnot.
- Jojoba: A source of moisture and, at the same time, antibacterial contents, sinking into your shaft to remedy any breakage or damage from inside out.
- Tea tree: Known for its antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, the extract lends a hand in nourishing your follicles, the foundation of healthy hair.
- Aloe vera: An elixir rich in nutrients that helps to drive away itchy reddish rash resulting from scalp disease.
You don’t have to embark on a quest to pinpoint a shampoo that is high-quality, fast-working, and yet, totally within your price range.
Be it the sale at the drugstore brands that cost no more than a few bucks for a purchase, or a brand new release at a high-end shop that asks for a splurge on your side, they all can deliver Instagram-worthy hair if you know what to pick.
The thing that matters is to know your hair and its approval of the ingredients in the formula. Different hair has different reactions towards them, so a wrong choice would do more harm than good.
The 10 Best Shampoo For Long Hair
L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 – Best Overall
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||All hair types, all damages|
Be it long or short, you should feed your hair high-performing ingredients to ensure its proper growth first. L’Oreal Paris’s shampoo is happy to help you out in that regard!
Designed to be rich in protein, which our hair is made up from, and ceramide, which fortifies our shafts by retaining moisture and promoting elasticity, it seals in and creates more nourishments to offset damages from within.
Sinking deeper into the core, these enhancement properties reinforce the structural fiber, fixing the weakened spots until you’re rewarded with silky, shiny hair.
You might notice the BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE written bold and clearly on the ingredient chart. Make no mistake, for this is the furthest thing from the sulfate we all despise regardless of the name.
It’s actually a rapeseed-deprived oil, a wonderful moisturizer doubling as entanglement and damage-defying solution, which is a blessing for long hair.
Still haven’t got over the last trip to the salon that stripped all the silkiness off your shafts? It should be able to help revive them within weeks.
The one fatal flaw of this shampoo is its incompatibility with all scalps and might irritate yours to the point of causing dandruff.
- Give hair a softer and more manageable texture
- Treat almost all damage issues
- Detangle hair for a smoother look
- Sophisticated scent
- Decently priced for the effects
- Might cause dandruff
PURE NATURE LUX SPA Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo – Best For Heat-Prone Hair
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Heat-prone hair|
Providing the vitamins and antioxidants that penetrate your follicle for deep nourishment, this argan formula works wonders to return the lost nutrients in less than a week.
Your brittle shafts no longer have to endure the harsh temperature from blow-drying and sunlight, thus having more time to recover.
A rinse with this shampoo doesn’t simply revive your hair but safeguards it from heat-induced stresses through a supply of thermal protectants, something not even the top pick from L’Oreal Paris is capable of.
And learning that the brand uses only selective natural ingredients approved by all hairs for this purpose makes it really worth a try.
If there’s anything that needs further improvement in this product, it’s definitely the cologne-like scent. Although it is far from unpleasant, something similar to floral or fruit would be more to our preference.
- Safe products with no side effects on your health
- Reverse the impacts of heat styling and UV rays
- Reduce frizzes, split ends, and breakage
- Grease-less, work for all hair types
- Disappointing scent
SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo – Best For Long Curly Hair
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Long curly hair|
As spiral as they are, the curly shafts have a hard time distributing the received nutrients from the roots to the ends, leaving your hair all brittle.
Unless you manage to replenish what it’s supposed to absorb, the curls you care about would fall flat, their patterns look off, and their particular springy texture would be gone for good.
SheaMoisture’s formula for curls have enough restoring power for the job.
The coconut oil infuses your hair with rich protein – the missing piece that your dried-out curls long for – to preserve and build up its elasticity.
And let’s not skip the fact that coconut oil is a fantastic natural moisturizer. It won’t be long until you start seeing fuller, more well-defined springs streaming down your back.
Cleansing and adding strength into your springy locks aside, this natural extract hydrates the shafts’ entire lengths using a rich dose of lauric acid. Its particular structure is tint-sized yet flowing with nourishing properties, reversing the lack of moisture that leads to frizz and flyaways in your hair.
The power of coconut oil is only the beginning, for SheaMoisture also fills the shampoo with hibiscus, a charming flower high in antioxidants, amino acids, and vitamin E. These are the keys to reduce any possibility of breakage or frizz, the arch enemies of bouncy curls.
There’s one thing that you should heed before proceeding with the purchase: We are talking about a relatively concentrated shampoo, and it wouldn’t be a surprise if you begin seeing greasy residue on your hair after the application.
- Replenish your hair for a voluminous look
- Increase manageability
- Revive the damage and promote hair growth
- Might leave your hair greasy
Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo – Best For Chemically Treated Hair
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Chemically Damaged Hair|
Hardly any of you want to leave natural long hair yet a more attractive look with a touch-up by some salon miracles. But you also risk damaging its beauty without appropriate maintenance.
And argan oil – the active ingredient in this shampoo – is just enough to revive your stressed-out hair after a salon trip! The effects begin showing within days, even faster than the argan from Pure Nature Lux Spa.
As the oil serves as a pure source of moisture and antioxidant vitamins, incorporating it into your hair washing routine reaps the benefits of an unmatched recovery. The nourishment enters your shaft’s cuticle and presses all the way into the core, granting intense care for the vulnerable core.
The outer layer isn’t left unattended either, for its hydrating properties will soon kick in, tending the roughness done by chemicals to return the lost luster to your long tresses.
The shampoo draws its hair-restoring power from another source rather than good old argan, which is keratin protein.
Lather it on your scalp, and the penetration will rapidly provide the underneath follicles with vitality and elasticity, bringing back the environment hair root needs to develop healthily. You owe your follicles this after putting them through perms and relaxers for hours.
Anything about the shampoo pretty much satisfies us, save for the fact that it might overdo the hydrating sometimes. Not the ideal pick for women seeking a solution for their greasy hair.
- Attractive scent that lingers
- Prevented damages were done by chemicals
- Maintain your pigmented colors
- Interfere with hair loss to some extent
- Not for greasy hair
Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner – Best For Shine Restoration
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Restoring shine, smoothing hair|
If you are looking to add some enviable shine to your long hair, Herbal Essences shampoo should be your first stop.
Filled with a jojoba-based formula, this hair wonder increases the proteins absorbing into your scalp to rejuvenate the shafts and jumpstarts the shine production compartment. Your long hair will surely be blessed with natural radiance after a few washes!
This lovely pick is more than a makeover for hair. As rose hips, a moisturizing ingredient brimming with fatty acids and vitamins E, are a part of the formula, you could count on it to boost the hair’s overall health.
It’s impossible to preserve natural shine on poorly nourished shafts, so this is definitely the building block for your perfect Rapunzel hair!
However, while Herbal Essences shampoo rinses most impurities and oil buildup from your hair, it may cause dryness due to the sulfate and alcohol content.
- Rich in nourishing and moisturizing contents
- Increase the shine on your hair
- Cruelty-free and dermatologist-tested
- May cause dryness
PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo – Best Clarifying Shampoo
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Deep cleansing|
Apple cider vinegar proves more effective in keeping your hair squeaky clean than anything else for its antifungal and mild acidic content.
In other words, a product chock-full of this ingredient like PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo would do you some good in rebalancing the scalp’s pH level to minimize stubborn buildups of yeast or grease. The gunks that have made themselves known also stand no chance.
For an all-around treatment, the apple cider vinegar rinse is amped up with a combination of 15 active ingredients to improve your hair’s overall health – the thing that matters the most in preserving cleanliness.
Argan, aloe vera, tea tree, hibiscus, we haven’t got through half the list and yet the popular hair care staples contained in many of the picks above are already here.
The final added bonus lies in the folic acid (vitamin B-9), Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5), plus keratin – the fast-absorbing nutrients responsible for hair cell constructing. Revitalizing and purifying at the same time – quite a package deal!
This is definitely a plus compared to everything else on the list; even the top picks L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 and PURE NATURE LUX SPA Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo.
If there’s something we want to complain about this formula, it would be the somewhat intense vinegar smell.
- 15 nature-based ingredients for intensive cleansing
- Balance the pH level to reduce buildups
- Strengthen weakened hair
- Work for all hair types
- Strong apple cider vinegar smell
Marc Anthony Grow Long Biotin Shampoo – Best For An Ideal Hair Length
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Growing Hair Longer|
Marc Anthony shampoo presents to you the combined power of caffeine and ginseng.
The former energizes the cells deep within the shafts to encourage rapid elongation, while the other is proven by science to aid hair growth with the rich nutrients in its ginsenosides properties.
When both are in action, adding extra lengths into your tresses won’t be so difficult a job.
Encouraging hair growth is only the beginning, as the shampoo’s second use is health boosting.
Your existing shafts, and each inch that comes out, can receive essential nourishment from the fast-acting vitamin E infused in the formula. The suppleness and elasticity that snip breakage right in the bud will walk their way into your hair not long afterwards.
When there are no ill-looking sections in your mane, there’s no need to reach out for the scissor anymore. Naturally, you have more hope in making the hair length of your dream a reality!
That said, it would be unwise to become overdependent on the shampoo when living with a sensitive scalp, as that’s how you invite itch into your life.
- Light formula that doesn’t weigh down your hair
- Increase your hair’s length after a few washes
- Combat frizz, dryness, and split ends
- Doesn’t suit sensitive scalp
Redken Extreme Shampoo – Best For Breakage
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Breakage and Damaged Hair|
Redken Extreme Shampoo comes with a mild and light texture, which is the first justification for the title.
As we know, breakage-prone hair is picky, and applying a random shampoo on it without going through the listed ingredients could end up overprocessing the strands.
You won’t be caught in this situation once you switch to this formula. Its anti-snap, protein-rich content keeps your long hair well-moisturized while reinforcing the damaged parts from the root to the tip.
Your cuticles are no longer likely to open up, the hair’s cores are no longer exposed to the outside world, and the danger of cracking nearly drops to non-existent.
The blend of amino acids and arginine enriching the formula’s properties then brings you an easy time toughening up lackluster shafts.
Now that the outer layer is more resilient than before, little harm can be done to what’s inside. This certainly puts it on par with PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo’s treatment for the ugliest case of chemical damages.
Note that while it does keep breakage to the minimum and lathers better than expected, it’ll take a while until you actually notice any progress.
- Keep your hair clean and nice-smelling
- Reduce frizz and breakage
- Promote the overall health of your hair
- Take time for the condition to get better
New York Biology Tea Tree Shampoo – Best For Itch and Dandruff
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Dandruff-prone scalp|
Hair reviving and dandruff eradication are New York Biology Tea Tree Shampoos power.
The tea tree oil itself pampers your long hair with a heaping dose of antibacterial and antifungal properties to break off the scalp buildup that’s likely to cascade onto your shoulders in flakes.
The botanical elixir itself is also known as an antiseptic herb, and you can count on its refreshing touch to relieve your itchy scalp.
This tea tree oil-based formula earns some backup support from a combination of argan and peppermint oil. Both of them are natural hair care ingredients that fortify your shafts through certain helpful compounds, including the natural restoratives pulegone and Mentone.
You can expect them to moisturize and fight off the dryness ruining your long tresses, all the while reinforcing their shine and thickness to create a healthy environment for your hair roots.
This includes supplementing as much moisture as you would like and preventing your scalp from flaking off any further.
Overall, this would be an excellent choice for a deep treatment if it isn’t for the post-washing residues.
- A great choice for dandruff and flaky scalp
- Soften and rehydrate your hair
- Soothing content to combat itchiness
- Suitable for sensitive scalp
- Might leave behind residue
- Easy-to-break pump
Luseta Biotin & Collagen Shampoo – Best For Hair Loss
|Notable product specs||
|Ideal For||Hair Loss|
Dryness is one thing, your long hair can also get tangled and shed when combing or washing as well, leading to the terrible nightmare going by the name of hair loss.
Thankfully, this versatile formula from Luseta supplements your anti-hair loss regimen with biotin, a vitamin B that runs through the scalp and revitalizes your hair right from the root.
It contains plenty of fortifying properties alongside moisture, increasing the strength of your hair as a result.
The next active ingredients to talk about are argan, the infamous moisture for all hair types, and Hydrolyzed Collagen, a vital substance that promotes healthy hair by treating it to a protein feast.
Whether you are planning for a dramatic improvement in the hair’s weakened state or incorporate some volume into the long tresses, this won’t cease to amaze you.
However, you will still have some small knots in your hair, as it tangles easily after the rinse.
- Preventing hair loss and promote the growth
- Return fullness and thickness
- Safe to use for all hair types
- May leaves entanglements on your hair
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Maintain Your Long Hair?
There are a few tips to consider to properly take care of your long tresses aside from lathering on good shampoo.
- Have a trimming schedule – trimming the ends of your hair is an old but gold method to ensure the rest stay in good shape.
- Avoid tight hairstyles – Forget those hair ties that are hard to pull off; they only damage your hair’s structure.
- Have a balanced diet – Your hair takes nutrients from your meal too, and food high in either vitamin or protein is never the wrong option to grow them (eggs, berries, veggies, or fatty fish.)
- Avoid shampooing every day – Don’t rush the treatment; you might end up stripping your hair of its natural oils that way.
How Often Should You Wash Your Hair If You Want It To Grow Longer?
There’s no one-for-all answer as it all depends on your hair types and conditions. For example:
- Oily hair: This is the only case when daily washing and rinsing are the right approaches; otherwise, you won’t be able to take care of all the buildup.
- Dry or damaged hair: You need to take into account the level of the damage, but the typical estimation would be once every 5 days. That allows your hair to replenish any lack of nutrients without the risk of overprocessing
- Thick hair: Once per week will suffice in this case. The hair volume retains moisture better than the rest.
What Should You Avoid When Buying Shampoos For Long Hair?
Whether you’re shopping for a hair treatment formula for your long hair or any hair type, keep in mind that there are some ingredients that bring nothing more than harm upon exposure.
- Sulfates: Granting it a chance to be inside your hair means you’re saying goodbye to smoothness, vibrant color, even natural oils, and waving hello to itch and more flake. The worst thing is that sulfates may lead to the formation of carcinogens, which disrupt your hormone sooner or later.
- Paraben: Its initial purpose is to serve as a preservative – and you know nothing good comes from putting that in your hair. Your hormone is no longer in balance, your skin might turn red with rash, and then there’s the final blow: neurotoxicity.
- Formaldehyde: Another preservative found in many shampoo lines. Once absorbed into your scalp, it instantly welcomes health issues into your life, starting with toxicity, and going all the way to cancer.
Whether you are in need of a means of pampering your well-tended mane or rid it of certain problems, the best shampoo for long hair is always going to be a high return investment. There are numerous levels of care available out there, going from mild to extensive.
In case you believe an all-in-one treatment would do you a favor, consider trying L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5, or PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo. And if you are thinking about brushing it up a little bit, just a little bit to make yourself seem livelier, don’t hesitate to go straight for Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo.
- Our Top Picks
- 3 Things To Consider When Buying The Best Shampoo For Long Hair
- The 10 Best Shampoo For Long Hair
- L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 – Best Overall
- PURE NATURE LUX SPA Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo – Best For Heat-Prone Hair
- SheaMoisture Curl and Shine Coconut Shampoo – Best For Long Curly Hair
- Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo – Best For Chemically Treated Hair
- Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner – Best For Shine Restoration
- PURA D’OR Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo – Best Clarifying Shampoo
- Marc Anthony Grow Long Biotin Shampoo – Best For An Ideal Hair Length
- Redken Extreme Shampoo – Best For Breakage
- New York Biology Tea Tree Shampoo – Best For Itch and Dandruff
- Luseta Biotin & Collagen Shampoo – Best For Hair Loss
- Frequently Asked Questions