Static hair is a nuisance in the hair care and hair styling regime. Where women spend a considerable amount of money, time and effort to maintain their shiny, lustrous, and sleek hair, static hair often comes as a nightmare, especially during the winter season.
The hunt for the best shampoo for static hair then begins resulting in plenty of research and paid reviews but, all in vain!
According to a survey, only 30% of people tend to find suitable shampoo for their hair and the rest are either using the wrong shampoos or are constantly changing and switching brands.
The main reason is the vast range of hair, skin, and scalp types that we all have.
No one person can guarantee that the best shampoo for static hair would prove to be the same for another because while we have different hair types and textures, we also tend to have already existent hair problems that might differ from each other.
In this case, one best shampoo for static hair can also give rise or enhance the already present hair problem or condition that you may have; which is why it is extremely important to have a proper guide before proceeding to get one.
But What Is Static Hair?
Due to weather change or friction, your hair gains some extra electrons which, when can’t be released in the environment, stay on your hair strand and upon rubbing, repel each other. This results in static, flyaway, frizzy, and brittle hair.
Winter is the main catalyst for causing static hair because of the lack of humidity and moisture and dry air inside and outside your home.
Moreover, the hats, beanies, or shawls and mufflers that you wear during this time further aggravate the static because of friction and rubbing against your hair.
Similarly, dry, damaged, and thinner hair are also susceptible to gain more static due to their chemical structure.
In order to avoid these flyaway hair that are extremely difficult to manage, it is always a good idea to reflect on shampoos that are exclusively made to avoid static hair.
Why Should I Use An Anti-Static Shampoo?
Normally, shampoos contain sodium laureth sulfate, ammonia, and such harsh chemicals.
Although these chemicals tend to make you feel clean right after the first wash, they actually strip your scalp off natural and essential oils, thus leaving the hair dry. This phenomenon, overtime, damages the overall hair causing it to become more and more static.
In addition, weather factors, as well as clothing, will also partly affect the static electricity of the hair. Dry weather, low humidity, and wearing materials that are prone to friction will cause electrical conductivity to occur and become worse.
It is thus best to get an anti-static shampoo packed with pure, essential oils and ingredients that respect the natural balance of your hair scalp, in turn minimizing the static in your hair.
Some antistatic shampoos with high moisturizing properties can even help you avoid the need for extra conditioner.
But are you overwhelmed as to what exactly to choose for your hair?
Fret not! Here we have compiled the truly best shampoos for static hair, according to your hair type so you may make a wise choice easily.
Our Top Picks – 12 Best Shampoo For Static Hair
|Product||Key Features||Ideal for||Overall rating|
|Garnier Whole Blends Coconut oil and Cocoa butter Shampoo
($16; 13.5 Fl. Oz each)
|BIOLAGE Smoothproof Shampoo
($20; 13.5 Fl. Oz)
|Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo and Revitalizing Conditioner
($13.5 per duo set; 8 ounces)
|BOTANIC HEARTH Peppermint Oil Shampoo And Conditioner Set
($23.98; 16 Fl. Oz)
|Aveeno Almond Oil Blend Scalp Smoothing Shampoo
($6.99; 12 Fl. Oz)
|Living proof No Frizz Shampoo (Anti Static)
($29; 8 Fl. Oz)
|Maple Holistics Dry Scalp Shampoo and Conditioner- Winter Blend Set
($17.95 per duo set; 8 Fl. Oz)
|L’oreal Paris Everpure Frizz-Defy Shampoo
($5.77; 8 Fl. Oz)
|Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo
($42; $33.8 Fl. Oz)
|Awesome Human Wig Shampoo (pH5)
($13.99; 7 Fl. Oz)
|Luseta Curl Enhancing Coconut Oil Shampoo
($34; 16.9 Fl. Oz)
|Klorane Ultra-Gentle Shampoo with Oat Milk
($20; 3.2 Ounces)
All the aforementioned products have natural ingredients in them and they are sulfate and paraben free to avoid frizzy and static hair.
However, in our opinion, the one product that qualifies for the best shampoo for static hair is hands down Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter Shampoo Set.
Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter Shampoo Set – The Best Product Overall
Garnier is a name known to many affiliated with the hair care industry.
If static hair has become a serious and unresolved problem for you and you are still looking for the best shampoo for static hair, then Garnier Whole Blends Shampoo set should be your go-to product.
A powerful blend of coconut oil and cocoa butter ensures excellent smoothness. We will rate it as the best shampoo for softness because of its immaculate velvety formula.
|Infusion of Natural Ingredients||5/5|
|Frizz and static control||4.8/5|
|Softness and shine||5/5|
|Value for money||4.8/5|
Why Garnier Whole Blends?
Garnier Whole Blends was released as Ultra Doux in France and since then has been regarded as one of the best shampoo and conditioner range sets within the country.
This is mainly because no other brand gives such professional salon-like treatment at such a low price.
We wholeheartedly agree to this point. Although the whole range of Garnier Whole Blends is commendable with many natural and softening agents, this particular coconut oil and cocoa butter shampoo set is absolutely luscious and smells heavenly.
How does it feel on the scalp?
The formula looks a bit runny in consistency when taken out but you still do not have to take out a lot of shampoos to work on the scalp. Just take a little amount as per your hair length and gently massage it on your scalp.
On applying, we found out that it quickly forms a rich and sufficient lather and the coconut oil literally feels like penetrating completely inside the scalp, imparting intense moisture. The cocoa butter, on the other hand, works to lock that moisture inside.
The smell feels luscious and heavenly.
Simply rinse off with cold water and then complete your hair care routine by coupling it with the Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter Conditioner that comes with the duo set for additional moisture.
In the end, the lingering yet light fragrance of coconut will stay in the hair, leaving your hair fresh, super soft, and completely static-free for a whole day.
- Excellent and professional salon composition
Garnier has in store some of the best formulators who work with the finest innovations to lead the salon hair care and treatment industry from the front.
This is the reason why all the ingredients found in the Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter Shampoo are formulated the same way as expensive salon products.
- Natural Moisturizing Agents and Antioxidants
This is one thing that sets this shampoo and conditioner apart.
Instead of using heavy silicones and waxes, Garnier has preferred to use naturally sourced and intense Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMFs) and Antioxidants.
Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter shampoo has naturally sourced coconut oil and West African cocoa butter extracts to tame frizzy and static hair and reveal radiance.
Usually, the NMFS if incorporated within the composition only comprises less than 1% of the formula but Garnier has used the various ingredients in the top 50% of the formula, providing high-grade actives at an amazingly low price point.
- Debunking the myth of “Quality is costly”
In general, it is not a norm for the mass shampoo industry to come up with paraben-free products since the formulation then costs a lot.
Garnier has proved that qualitative products do not always have to be expensive. This duo set is only for $16 ($1.28/Fl. Oz) while it is 100% paraben-free.
The packaging is a little clumsy since the bottles are big and curvy and it tends to take up a lot of space in the bathroom. As a result, there is no neat hand grip.
Moreover, since it is an all-natural product, the packaging could be made more appealing, biodegradable, and eco-friendly like the Klorane Ultra-Gentle Shampoo.
BIOLAGE Smooth Proof Shampoo
If you are tired of flyaway, frizzy, and static hair, then BIOLAGE smooth proof shampoo is definitely the one for you.
A maestro in controlling static hair, BIOLAGE, as the name indicates, is made up of fine and natural ingredients. Camilla, which is water-resistant, provides a perfect therapy to control the static of the hair.
BIOLAGE with its especial humidity control qualities builds up a shield around the hair to lend them smoothness and further preventing different elements from getting into the hair locks. It also deeply cleanses the scalp well to boost shine.
Furthermore, the mild scent it has feels great, making it ideal for daily use and for all hair types.
- It is paraben-free, which makes it a safe choice for color-treated hair.
- Natural ingredients ensure no harsh chemicals get in to further dry out or damage the hair.
- It is approved to be used and suitable for all hair types.
- The shampoo is clear in a formula so even those with very light-colored hair can comfortably wash their hair without the fear of getting stains on the hair.
- Needs to be used with a conditioner for a better result.
- Consistency is slightly runny.
- May not be a very affordable option.
Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo and Revitalizing Conditioner
This duo set is surely a treat for people facing extreme frizz and static hair. We may have a lot of options for natural hair but quite a few brands have been active in the hair care industry to provide amazing hair care options for artificial hair and wigs.
Each bottle has a capacity of 8 ounces and although it works equally well for both synthetic and natural hair, it is hands down the best choice for synthetic hair.
Hair feels light, fresh, and grease-free after applying this shampoo.
For best results, after shampooing, put a coin-sized amount of conditioner on damp hair and wash thoroughly. The revitalizing conditioner ensures better smoothness.
- Works equally well for both synthetic and natural hair.
- Hair feels much more manageable and frizz-free after use.
- Made up of natural ingredients, free of harsh chemicals.
- Unfavorable scent.
BOTANIC HEARTH Peppermint Oil Shampoo And Conditioner Set
What more can be refreshing than having amazing essential oils infused within your shampoo?
Normally, harsh chemicals in your shampoo can further dry up the hair causing extreme frizz, and brittleness. But with the goodness of peppermint and tea tree oil, the hair scalp really feels rejuvenating, clean, and fresh.
Pairing it up with its conditioner can bring additional promising results.
- Having essential oils make it safe for colored hair.
- The lingering aroma of peppermint oil makes the shampooing session wonderful.
- Tea tree oil and peppermint oil are known to promote hair growth efficiently hence this shampoo works very well to enhance hair growth in thinner hair.
- Due to its gentle formula, it is suitable for everyday use.
- Some people might be allergic to the ingredients in the shampoo.
- The shampoo needs to be washed with a lot of water to have it completely out of the locks.
Aveeno Scalp Smoothing Almond Oil Shampoo
Still hunting for the best shampoo for static hair? No worries! Aveeno Almond Oil Shampoo brings in more moisture and smoothness with the richness and infusion of oatmeal, almond, and avocado oil.
With so many natural ingredients within a single bottle, static hair will surely not stand a chance.
It moisturizes from the roots to the tips. This is the reason why right from the first wash, you will feel nourishment locked inside your hair strands.
- Due to its moisturizing properties, it is very suitable for curly, thick, and coarse hair.
- Paraben-free and gentle on the scalp.
- Very sweet fragrance.
- Some people have reviewed that it does not really mix well with the hair completely.
- May tangle your hair.
Living proof No Frizz Shampoo (Anti Static)
This shampoo is formulated with Polyfluoroester which kind of forms a protective shield around your hair.
Hair damaging agents such as grease, dirt, and other oily substances that may accumulate in your hair are repelled by this protective layer, resulting in clean and softer hair.
Just apply a few drops of shampoo on wet and damp hair and you will see a rich lather forming that will make your medium-sized hair clean in one go.
- It quickly forms a rich lather which means only a few drops are sufficient for a perfect shampooing session.
- Unique hydrating formula effectively blocks humidity for anti-static hair.
- Hair feels softer and shinier for up to 3 days.
- Consistency is runny.
- People first time trying it out may not have a proper idea about the quantity they should use for their hair length due to its runny consistency.
Maple Holistics Dry Scalp Shampoo and Conditioner- Winter Blend Set
Exclusively designed for problematic winter hair, this shampoo contains the goodness of not just one or two but five essential oils!
The rich and fine blend of spearmint, peppermint, wintermint argan oil, and eucalyptus oil ensures deep moisturization that helps remove flakes and dirty build-up.
While essential oils impart a cooling sensation during the hair wash, the plant-based dry scalp treatment targets the woes of common hair and root problems, thoroughly cleansing the scalp leaving behind a gentle and refreshing smell.
Use it with its conditioner to transform your hair texture and make them more manageable.
- Fights multiple hair problems at the same time like dandruff, dry scalp, and hair fall.
- Great quantity.
- Effectively combats lifeless hair and boosts shine.
- Sulfate and Paraben free; safe for color-treated hair.
- May leave a slightly oily look for some people due to many essential oils.
L’oreal Paris EverPure Frizz-Defy Shampoo
L’oreal has impressively made its place to the top for making one of the best shampoos for static hair through this top-notch product.
Enriched with Marula oil, it cleanses and nourishes the frizz-prone hair, especially when they are color treated leaving the hair bouncier and amazingly shinier.
Experience a sensorial, luxurious lather with a beautiful blooming fragrance through this amazing shampoo.
- Controls humidity efficiently.
- Especially formulated for color-treated hair so the color does not fade and lasts longer.
- Frizz resistance for up to 24 hours.
- Amazing fragrance.
- Contains sodium chloride which is not suitable for keratin-treated hair.
- Occasionally leaves a slight oily residue on the scalp.
Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo
Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo is free of sulfates and chlorides which makes it an excellent choice for all hair types. The lesser the harsh chemicals, the better the static in the hair is controlled which is why people tend to fall in love with its formula.
Once you wash your hair with it, you will feel your hair are more nourished, smooth, and shinier. Furthermore, it deep cleans the hair from roots to the tips.
- Ensures good shine and frizz control.
- Being sulfate and chloride free, it suits color-treated and keratin-treated hair very well.
- Very affordable.
- Great quantity (33.8 Fl Oz/1000ml)
- Due to deep cleaning, it dries out the scalp a little bit.
- Tends to straighten curly hair.
- Feels a bit heavy on the scalp.
Awesome Human Wig Shampoo (pH 5)
We often tend to neglect that along with hard chemicals and drying agents within a shampoo, considering a pH level is equally important.
The higher the pH level in a shampoo, the more it dries out the hair. Generally, a pH level of 4-6 is considered gentle and healthy for hair and scalp.
The Awesome Human Wig Shampoo with its healthy pH 5 value ensures hydration and maximum frizz and static prevention.
Mingled with coconut oil, it promotes good moisture, improves the quality of the hair and reduces damage.
Although it can be used for both artificial and natural hair, it is rather best suited for human wigs and artificial hair.
- Despite being specially designed for artificial wigs, it has a natural and lingering fragrance with no artificiality.
- Deep-cleanses the hair, removing grease.
- Hair feels bouncier.
- Does not produce sufficient lather.
Luseta Curl Enhancing Coconut Oil Shampoo
Time to flaunt your manageable curls proudly to the world!
As the name denotes, Luseta has been working quite remarkably to promote the growth and shine of curls as curls in the hair tend to be the hardest to manage.
With a natural and nice blend of coconut oil and rosemary oil, it works to lock the moisture in, thus preventing static hair. Rosemary oil also tends to slow down the effects of premature greying of the hair.
The best thing about this shampoo is that despite being infused with oils, it gives a good moisture balance by working equally well for oily scalps.
Therefore, people with oily hair can still benefit from this amazing anti-static shampoo.
- Best suited for curly hair and oily scalp.
- With its curl-enhancing properties, it gives a voluminous and thicker appearance thus taming the frizz nicely.
- Helps in reducing itchy and flaky scalp.
- Detangles hair easily.
- Light formula, gentle scent.
- Paraben, sulfate, and gluten-free, safe for color-treated hair.
- Not the best fit for dry scalp.
- Slightly on the pricier side.
Klorane Ultra-Gentle Shampoo with Oatmilk
By now, you must have known that the best shampoo for static hair is the one that incorporates smoothing and moisturizing agents within itself while avoiding chemicals and drying agents.
Klorane Ultra-Gentle shampoo has the gentleness of oat milk infused within it that imparts a real natural and organic feel; free from all chemicals.
People tend to fall in love with its formula and composition solely due to organically harvested oatmilk which cleanses the hair without drying them.
Furthermore, the bottle is 100% recyclable with paper labels from sustainably managed forests.
All you have to do is to dampen your hair a little bit and then apply some of the shampoos. Rinse thoroughly. Afterward, comb your hair and you will feel how soft it detangles your hair.
Because of a very gentle formula, it is suitable for even the most sensitive scalps.
- Suitable for all hair types and scalps; especially for sensitive scalps.
- Vegan, biodegradable.
- Dermatologist and Pediatric tested; it is approved to be used by toddlers aged 3 years and above.
- Very light, almost unnoticeable scent.
- Balances natural oils on the scalp quite efficiently.
- Runny/watery consistency.
- High price if quantity is considered.
3 Things To Consider Before Buying Anti-Static Shampoo
Here are a few factors you must consider before investing into the best shampoo for static hair
Choose a pH-neutral shampoo
Shampoos with high acidic content and harsh chemicals tend to damage hair gradually over time. It is thus best to take the pH level of your hair and scalp into consideration.
A healthy pH level lies between 4-6. It is therefore recommended to use shampoos with pH levels falling within this range.
Say NO to Ammonia
Ammonia opens up the hair cuticles which in turn makes hair brittle, coarse, and frizzy. Prolonged use can also result in considerable damage.
Before buying the best shampoo for static hair, make sure that it does not have ammonia in it.
Do not expect immediate results
This is true!
Shampoos and hair care products do not always bring in miraculous results and sometimes you have to keep trying and experimenting with several brands before finally getting the right and go-to product for your hair needs.
Just make sure to check the list of ingredients and find the one with more and more natural ingredients to manage your static hair.
Does static hair really mean damaged hair?
Not always but partially that is the truth. It is because damaged hair is unable to deal with electricity properly that otherwise occurs naturally in winters.
The electrons fly off, leaving the hair negatively charged, which then repel each other causing static in the hair.
More healthier hair might face static when the humidity is low, but the effect would be much less.
How to prevent static hair?
Along with avoiding shampoos with sodium laureth sulfate and ammonia and opting for shampoos with natural ingredients, you can prevent static hair by following these tips.
- Never skip conditioner: Conditioners provide additional important moisture necessary to prevent static hair. It is recommended to apply a coin-sized amount of conditioner for your hair to avoid dryness and static in your hair.
- Use an ionic blow dryer: According to a theory, water molecules are positively charged thus blow dryers that give off negative ions aid in shrinking water molecules and smoothening hair.
- Avoid nylon and polyester in hair accessories: These kinds of synthetic fibers induce static. You should rather opt for scarves, headbands, and hats made from silk or cotton to prevent static in your hair.
- Try out deep conditioners and hair masks: Using moisturizing hair masks or deep conditioners once a week or at least twice a month would help your static hair.
Do metal combs help with static hair?
Yes, according to science, they tend to discharge the electric charges present in the hair thereby generating less static and leaving your hair frizz-free.
Plastic combs, on the other hand, are not conducive to discharging and will thus increase the number of electric charges running through the strands.
So, opt for a metal comb instead of a plastic one. You can also use a wooden comb.
So now when you have gone through the list of the best shampoos for static hair and have our ratings and reviews too.
It is now time to weigh down the pros and cons of each and choose the best shampoo for static hair according to your hair type and texture.
No other person can be the best judge for your hair care regime and care than yourself. Try your hands on the aforementioned products and bid farewell to those frizzy, brittle, and static hair that gets on your nerves.
We wish you sleek, lustrous, and voluminous hair this winter! Happy shampooing!
- But What Is Static Hair?
- Why Should I Use An Anti-Static Shampoo?
- Our Top Picks – 12 Best Shampoo For Static Hair
- Garnier Whole Blends Coconut Oil and Cocoa Butter Shampoo Set – The Best Product Overall
- BIOLAGE Smooth Proof Shampoo
- Brandywine Non-Static Shampoo and Revitalizing Conditioner
- BOTANIC HEARTH Peppermint Oil Shampoo And Conditioner Set
- Aveeno Scalp Smoothing Almond Oil Shampoo
- Living proof No Frizz Shampoo (Anti Static)
- Maple Holistics Dry Scalp Shampoo and Conditioner- Winter Blend Set
- L’oreal Paris EverPure Frizz-Defy Shampoo
- Redken Frizz Dismiss Shampoo
- Awesome Human Wig Shampoo (pH 5)
- Luseta Curl Enhancing Coconut Oil Shampoo
- Klorane Ultra-Gentle Shampoo with Oatmilk
- 3 Things To Consider Before Buying Anti-Static Shampoo