With the mention of soft and silky hair, the canvas of our minds paints the picture of those young models glimmering brightly on our television screen while flaunting their beautiful hair locks.
But let’s face it, having such professionally transformed hair and its maintenance come at a very high cost, limitless efforts and so much time that only celebrities can afford.
Where good maintenance of hair depends on multiple other factors, we believe that one factor that demands the highest focus should be choosing the best shampoo to make your hair soft and silky.
This is because it is something that you have the most control over, is a part of your basic daily regimen, and is in direct contact with your hair.
Factors Affecting The Growth And Health Of Your Hair
Some factors such as the outside pollutants, bad diet, low immunity, chemicals present in the tap water, and stress all play a crucial role in damaging the growth of your hair.
Moreover, not caring enough for your hair may further aggravate the already existent issues and problems with the hair. In addition to the aforementioned factors, finding a good and suitable shampoo is equally very important to make your hair soft, silky, and strong.
In this article, we shall exclusively give you a detailed guideline about the 8 best shampoos to make your hair soft and silky followed by our top pick based on our ratings, recommendations, and reviews.
Our Top Picks
|Product||Chief ingredients||Ideal for||Overall Rating|
|Redken All Soft Shampoo
($20; 10.1 Fl Oz)
|Castor Oil, Citric Acid, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein||Dry, Brittle, Fine Hair||4.7|
|TRESemmé Smooth and Silky Shampoo
($11.99; 28 Fl. Oz)
|Biotin, Argan Oil, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk||Dry, Damaged Hair||4.6|
|L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Repairing Shampoo
($8.63; 28 Fl Oz)
|Wheat Protein||Curly, Damaged Hair||4.5|
|Garnier Whole Blends Repairing Shampoo Honey Treasures
($5.5; 22 Fl. Oz)
|Honey, Royal Jelly, Propolis Extract||Thin, Brittle Hair||4.5|
|KERASTASE Reflection Bain Chromatique Multi-Protecting Shampoo
($28.65; 8.5 Fl. Oz)
|Rice Bran Oil, Soybean Oil, Citrus Fruit Extract||Color-Treated, Highlighted Hair||4.5|
|Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo
($30.50; 9 Fl. Oz)
|Keravis, Astaxanthin||Damaged, Curly, Color-Treated Hair||4.4|
|Shiny Leaf Cold Pressed Castor Oil Shampoo
($16; 15.9 Fl Oz)
|Castor Seed Oil||All Hair Types||4.4|
|Tree to Tub Soapberry for Hair
($16.9; 8.5 Fl. Oz)
|Argan Oil, Aloe Vera, Chamomile and, Olive Leaves||Dull, Dry, Fine, Normal, Damaged||4.3|
Redken All Soft Shampoo – The Best Product Overall
The aforementioned products and brands do deliver promising results as we consider them the best shampoos to make hair soft and silky, working great for respective hair types as well as infusing moisture to dry hair.
However, if we have to pick one from all of the above, we will wholeheartedly recommend the Redken All Soft Shampoo!
|Infusion of natural ingredients||4.4/5|
|Value for money||4.7/5|
- Liquid Volume: 10.1 Fluid Ounces (300ml)
- Item Weight: 0.34 kilograms
- Product Dimensions: 2.19 x 2.56 x 6.25 inches; 10.01 Ounces
Why Redken All Soft Shampoo?
Owned by L’Oreal, Redken speaks of a commitment to quality while delivering excellent results which is why it is trusted by plenty of consumers all over the world.
As the name suggests, Redken All Soft Shampoo lends immaculate softness to your tresses and is ideal for people with dry to brittle hair who have lost all the hopes to make their locks feel silky and soft.
But why have we chosen it as the best shampoo to make hair soft and silky? Let us tell you.
Redken All Soft Shampoo is mainly infused with the richness of Argan Oil and Moisture Complex to impart 4 S’s to your hair; Silkiness, Softness, Smoothness, and Shine! Argan Oil is known for its remarkable moisturising properties (thanks to its abundance of vitamin E) and since it is crucial for dry and dull hair to retain moisture well enough if aiming for soft and silky hair; then we would say it is one of the best choices to incorporate this natural oil into the product.
On the other hand, incorporating a Moisture Complex ensures that the scalp not only receives the penetrating moisture efficiently but also does not leave an oily or slimy residue on the scalp.
Deeply grounded in science, the formula used is thus pH balanced that cleanses without overdrying the hair and radiates moisture but does not strip off the natural oils from the scalp which is highly important for balanced, and healthy hair growth.
- An epitome of sheer softness and moisturization
Luxuriate into the possibility of experiencing the silkiness and softness you have never had before. For dry and brittle hair, it works great. And when we say great, we mean it!
This is possible because of a powerful amalgamation of Argan Oil, Moisture Complex, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Citric Acid, and Soy Protein that work together to give those velvety soft, luscious, and silky hair locks you always wanted to attain; that too effortlessly.
- Suitable for almost all hair types
The product says it is a “moisturising regimen for dry and brittle hair”; but people with all hair types including fine, medium to normal hair can benefit from its goodness. Many people with color-treated hair have also given good reviews about its results in terms of softness without damaging the color.
- Lathers refreshingly well
While trying out various shampoos, we have always found that those that form a good lather always prove to be good in terms of cleansing the hair thoroughly.
Similarly, Redken All Soft Shampoo lathers pretty well which gives a refreshing yet perfect cleansing for the hair.
- Long-term use can restructure and improve hair fibers
A natural and healthy pH level for hair is somewhat acidic; around 4.5 to 5.5. Redken All Soft Shampoo has made sure to consider this factor as its first priority which is why it has an effective pH-balanced formula while the Redken Conditioner is also slightly acidic making it an ideal combination to achieve an optimal pH level.
Due to this balanced formulation, its regular and long-term use not only restructures, and improves hair fiber but also gives complete nourishment to all three levels; from the roots to the core to the tip.
- Sustainable Product
Redken All Soft Shampoo is Climate pledge friendly which means it comes in a compact size and efficient design. These minor differences in weight and size of the product help play a role in the reduction of carbon emission.
Moreover, this is a sustainable product since it is made with safe materials and eco-friendly processes in order to preserve nature and impact the planet positively.
- Good for daily use
Due to its gentle and moisturising ingredients, it is suitable for daily use.
- Not very economical
As you can see, the list of our top picks has budget-friendly products with good quantities costing as low as $5.
Redken All Soft Shampoo costs $20 for a 10 ounces bottle which may not be affordable for everyone. It is almost the same in price with respect to quantity as the Tree to Tub Soapberry which has 100% organic and raw ingredients.
Redken All Soft, on the other hand, is costly because of a high price WITHOUT the infusion of mega-expensive NMAs.
- Not Sulfate-free
Redken All Soft Shampoo has SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) which provides deep cleansing yet may not be good for chemically and color-treated hair.
Although some people with color-treated hair have given good reviews about this product, we would recommend not to take risks by using this product as a daily regimen for chemically treated hair.
How does it feel on the scalp?
The shampoo is creamy in consistency which on the first look gives a sense of lusciousness. This is a win-win as we highly find runny consistencies a major turn-off because of two reasons; it is usually a mess when the product is taken out and it does not last long.
Apply some amount as per your hair length on damp hair and massage into a lather. As we massaged the shampoo onto the scalp, the argan oil did feel like penetrating deep onto the scalp, leaving a nice cool and crisp feeling. The lather formed pretty quickly with a lot of suds and bubbles which made this shampooing session so much fun.
After rinsing the lather off, the hair surprisingly felt detangled, clean, fresh yet heavily moisturised. While combing, the hair felt extraordinarily soft and silky, and finally, after a nice blow dry, the hair was super smooth, bouncy, and amazingly manageable!
Note: This is a moisture-based shampoo so it is okay to skip conditioner sometimes if you wish to, but we recommend coupling it up with Redken All Soft Conditioner twice a week to lock in the moisture.
Just make sure NOT to put the conditioner on the scalp. Apply a coin- sized amount all over the hair. Moreover, Redken All Soft Hair Mask is good to use twice or thrice a month to give your hair an extra oomph!
When we talk about shampoos, the scent does make a difference since the whole experience then includes the olfactory sense as well. This is why we love shampoos with a good scent!
One of the things that we really admired about Redken All Soft Shampoo is its lovely and sophisticated scent which smells like a blend of honey and almond oil imparting a very gently mild, baby soft fragrance.
This ensures that it is not too overpowering so people who usually like unscented versions of shampoos would not mind this fragrance too.
As previously mentioned, the packaging is sustainable and climate pledge friendly with an efficient design and compact size.
However, the bottle is too firm to squeeze and a little tight squeeze makes a lot of product come out. Having screw tops on these bottles could have been much better because in this way the whole product could be used without any wastage.
Results after using it for two weeks
We did a two-week test in which we applied it for around 6 times in total and found out the following:
- The hair felt very much bouncier and thicker. We thought that in the process of making the hair moisturised, it would somehow end up making it thin but we were proved wrong!
- No oily or slimy residue on the scalp or hair which people usually tend to get after using oil-based/moisturising shampoos. It was well-balanced moisture.
- The hair did not have tangles or knots so it also passed the “detangling” test.
- Even after shampooing the hair daily, the hair did not feel over dried or frizzy.
- Most importantly, it did manage to lend an immaculate velvety softness and silkiness to the hair.
Now let us move on to some of the direct experiences and reviews by influencers and regular consumers about Redken All Soft Shampoo:
“This is hands down an amazing moisturising shampoo. However, I feel like it is a bit on the pricier side. Probably, I will be able to get it easily if I befriend a hairdresser or maybe get a 50% discount from somewhere. Other than the high cost, it is a perfect shampoo for me! Loved it!” – Emma Gabster
“Redken’s All Soft” shampoo is really great. You get your money’s worth, and unlike with other products, the value is something tangible. You can sense it when you (or better yet – someone else!) runs their hands through your hair.” – Caleb Backe, Blogger.
“I am a regular and faithful Redken hair range user but All Soft range is my favorite. This product smoothens the hair follicle, controls flyaway in turn making it easier to dry and style. However, make sure to rinse the product off completely and apply conditioner to the tips only otherwise it may weigh the hair down causing them to become limpy and oily.” – Natalia Jade
TRESemmé Smooth and Silky Shampoo
A drugstore brand we always wanted for dry and damaged hair, TRESemmé Smooth and Silky Shampoo has left us stunned by delivering top-grade results at such a low price.
A nice mixture of Argan Oil, Biotin, Silk Protein, and Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil as key ingredients facilitates in rejuvenating damaged hair to such an extent that it becomes touchably soft while giving a professional shine as you get in salons.
All these ingredients work to hydrate the damaged hair strands, reducing the fluffiness of dry ends while the moisturisation of Argan oil works actively to tame frizz and flyaway for perfectly soft and silky results.
- Very affordable. The whole 28 Fl. Oz bottles cost only $11.9.
- Controls frizz for 48 hours with good moisturisation leaving the hair smooth and silky.
- Forms a rich lather
- Detangles the hair effectively. As soon as you rinse the hair, you would feel the tangles coming out.
- Works for multiple hair types. Also great for oily hair.
- Includes Ammonia, Sulfates (SLS, SLES); Not paraben-free either. Thus, may not be an ideal option for color-treated hair.
- Does not work well for oily scalps and flat hair.
- Unscented. Tends to leave the hair smelling like oil after a few hours because of negligible to no scent.
L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Repairing Shampoo
L’Oreal in all these years has proved to be one of the best brands; both in the skin and hair care industry by bridging the gap between promises and results.
Always on top of the game in terms of introducing products related to a plethora of hair problems, this time too L’Oreal has addressed the crucial issue of dry and damaged hair through this wonderful Elvive Total Repair 5 Shampoo.
The formulation of Wheat Protein and Ceramide ensures mending the 5 signs of damage to give silky, healthy, supple, stronger hair that is also easy to style. Featuring 2% repair concentrate, it deeply focuses on hair that is damaged from roots to the tips by first fortifying each hair strand, reinforcing hair fiber, and then finally locking in perfect nourishment to provide an indulgent experience of balanced moisture that pleasantly does not weigh the hair down at all, resulting in extremely soft and silky hair.
- A perfectly balanced moisture level- neither too intense, nor too light.
- Economical and budget-friendly. A full 28 Fl. Oz bottle costs $8.63 which is even cheaper than TRESemmé Smooth and Silky Shampoo while delivering the same excellence in terms of silky hair.
- Luxurious fragrance; it offers an amazing floral creamy scent blended with juicy green notes.
- Sustainable packaging; Total Repair 5 bottles are made with 94% recycled plastic to help preserve mother nature.
- Not moisturising enough for thick, coarse, and long hair and over use of the product may dry out the hair.
- Does not help with color-treated hair as it includes SLS, SLES, Ammonia, and Parabens.
Garnier Whole Blends Repairing Shampoo
Garnier has been getting all praises globally for introducing one of the best hair care ranges mainly because of its 100% natural formulation that is also very economical. Enriched with Honey, Royal Jelly, and Propolis Extract, it works to prevent split ends and reduce hair fall and breakage. Honey is known for its healing properties, therefore this main agent not only heals damaged hair but strengthens it from roots to the tips to give a sleek, soft, and silky look.
For best results, pair it with its repairing Conditioner that seals in the moisture, giving you those lovely hair that looks like it is straight out of a television commercial!
- 100% Natural Ingredients: Instead of using heavy silicones and waxes, Garnier has preferred to use naturally sourced and intense Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMFs) and Antioxidants.
- 100% Paraben and Sulfate Free; safe for chemically treated hair and gentle for everyday use.
- Extremely Affordable: Garnier has used various expensive ingredients that you only find in salons at a high cost, comprising 50% of its formula at an amazingly low price point.
- Irresistible raw fragrance of honey and royal jelly.
- May not suit people with very oily scalp and hair types due to infusion of natural moisturising agents and a lack of sulfates.
- Clumsy packaging; curvy bottles.
KERASTASE Reflection Bain Chromatique Multi-Protecting Shampoo
While talking about the best shampoo to make hair soft and silky, we have something exceptional in store for people with color-treated hair as well!
This wonderful product by KERASTASE protects the hair in multiple ways. Using high-quality Rice Bran Oil, Soybean Oil, and Citrus, it works to create an anti-deposit effect directly on the surface of hair fiber while imparting Ultra Violet filters that sort of form a shield against outside and harmful aggressors.
As a result, the hair is not only cleansed and moisturized gently but also the vibrancy of the color and the health of the hair are maintained successfully, resulting in soft, shiny, and silky hair.
With high-end brands like KERASTASE, we deeply focus on its claims since these expensive high-end brands should definitely provide more than their drug store competitors. With KERASTASE Reflection Bain Chromatique, we are happy that it does not fall short of its claims and DOES leave the hair fabulous and silky.
- Neutralizes the water particles to preserve and protect the color. Ideal for people with dyed and highlighted hair who struggle to avoid their hair from stripping and turning straw-like.
- Completely sulfate-free and multi-protecting.
- Tames dry, unruly, and extremely damaged hair to impart true shine and softness. Great detangling capabilities.
- Very much expensive. It would cost you a lot if you wish to use it as a regular shampoo.
Pureology Strength Cure Shampoo
Another good option for people with color-treated hair is the Strength Cure Shampoo from Pureology. Deeply rooted in science, its concentrated formula has incorporated two top-notch ingredients; Keravis and Astaxanthin.
Keravis is a protein known for its strengthening properties that prevent hair breakage while Astaxanthin is an antioxidant, which is a part of Asta-Repair Technology that does the job of healing and mending dry and damaged hair.
Both of these special ingredients work together to promote soft and shiny hair along with unbeatable strength and nourishment. So basically, this shampoo seeks to repair split ends and hair that are damaged either from heat or from a lot of exposure to harmful chemicals and repeated color treatments to bring out silky, sleek hair you can proudly flaunt!
- Tested on all hair textures and thus it is a great choice for even curly and coarse hair.
- Sulfates, Paraben Free, and Vegan; ideal for color-treated hair.
- Refreshing scent of raspberry, peach and water flower to energize the shampooing session.
- Lasts longer because a little quantity is enough to form a luxurious lather.
- Very expensive.
- Does not really help to detangle hair.
- The consistency is way too thick. It needs to be mixed up with water really well before putting it into damp hair along with a proper rinsing off, or it may leave residues and chunks.
Shiny Leaf Cold Pressed Castor Oil Shampoo
To achieve velvety silky and smooth hair and avoid dry hair, the hair first needs to be detoxified from outside airborne elements such as pollution, dust and dirt with a balanced and natural moisture level on your scalp.
This is what this shampoo does! It cleanses the scalp amazingly well while the organic cold-pressed Castor Oil present in this product not only moisturises the hair efficiently but also helps stimulate hair follicles to promote hair growth and thickness, reducing bad hair fall and thinning hair.
Just apply it on to the scalp and form a lather. It is recommended to let it sit for at least 3 minutes and then slowly and gently massage the scalp so that the Castor Oil gets right into the scalp while working to stimulate the follicles.
This also effectively promotes healthy blood circulation and relaxation, reducing stress while also removing dead skin cells and residues that cause dull and damaged hair.
- Anti-hair loss remedies. Encourages regrowth of hair.
- Anti-dandruff properties; reduces dandruff, flaky and itchy scalp.
- Color-safe formula. Works for all hair types and hair textures. Vegan and cruelty-free.
- Unisex; suitable for both men and women.
- Very affordable.
- Raw castor oil may cause allergies for some people.
- Runny consistency.
Tree to Tub Soapberry for Hair
As the name suggests, the pure ingredients in the shampoo come directly from the Tree to your bathing Tub.
It is worthy to note that maintenance of a healthy pH level for hair is very important to respect the natural oils of the scalp and while many shampoos (even those that claim to be organic) ensure effective moisturisation of the hair, they tend to forget the scalp and as a result the scalp becomes dry leading to residues, flakes and an overpowering smell.
Tree to Tub has made sure to prioritize this factor of making an acidic pH balanced formula of 5.5 which is perfect for the skin and hair.
Enriched with saponin-rich and mother nature’s organic lather- the wild Soapberries that thoroughly cleanses and moisturises the scalp and hydrate dry hair strands, this is not just a plain or average moisturising shampoo.
Furthermore, it is combined with coconut cleansers and Organic Moisture Botanicals (Argan Oil, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Olive Leaves) that impart a creamy yet light lather resulting in supple, soft and shiny hair.
- 100% Toxins, Sulfates, SLS, Parabens, Silicone, DEA/MEA, Gluten and Fragrance free. Vegan, Cruelty Free and Fair Trade.
- Wild, gentle and pure; can also work as a baby shampoo due to its gentle properties.
- Suitable for men, women, children and for all hair types and textures exclusively for sensitive scalps.
- A free sun-kissed wild soapberry with a purchase. Also, a full refund if you do not like the product.
- Relaxing lavender essential oil scent which is 100% natural and light.
- Requires a long time (at least more than a month) to see noticeable results.
- A little costly as a regular shampoo and for frequent washers.
- The scent of Lavender may cause allergic reactions as some people reported watery eyes with its scent during the hair wash.
Is soft hair a sign of healthy hair?
Yes and No. Having soft hair does indicate good health of the hair but the hair needs to be strong too while being soft.
Softness accurately represents elasticity and moisturised hair which play a crucial role for maintaining healthy hair.
But if you have soft yet weak hair, that alone won’t do the job. It is, thus, best to do regimens and use shampoos that support the softness of the hair while lending strengthening properties to the hair as well.
What is the correct technique of shampooing your hair when it comes to achieving soft and silky hair?
Mostly, we see people piling up the shampoo on top of the scalp and then spreading it along the hair length. This wrong technique actually gives an overall uneven distribution of oil and moisture because the scalp gets most of the oil while hair strands stay dry.
In the case of people with straight hair, the gravity does manage to let the effect go down till the tips but for curly-haired people, it is very difficult to achieve softness through this technique because the coils of the hair do not let the product and its moisture go down till the roots.
It is best to take some amount on the palms of your hand, rub it a little and then apply it equally from the roots to the tips. Do not forget to massage gently until the lather forms, so it detoxifies the scalp while equally being distributed all over the hair and the scalp.
Besides using a good shampoo for silky, soft hair, what are some other ways I should include in my regimen?
Along with a good shampoo to make your hair soft and silky, you should consider doing the following:
- Detangling is very important to achieve silkiness as tangled hair does not give a silky look. So detangle the hair by first brushing and untying the knots from the ends and then moving upwards to prevent damage.
- Use a silk pillow cover to sleep which correlates with achieving silky strands. A cotton pillow cover tends to cause tangles and frizz because it absorbs all the moisture whereas silk or satin pillowcases maintain the oil or moisture necessary for your hair.
- Towel causes friction and friction is an enemy number one for silky and soft hair because it tends to open hair cuticles which further causes tangly hair. To avoid this, try using a cotton cloth to gently rub your hair after a shower. Or if you are using a towel, make sure that you wrap the hair in it and squeeze the water out, working all the way down to the tips instead of rubbing it hard against the hair.
Achieving soft, silky and shiny hair can be a dream come true with the right products and following a good and healthy hair care regimen.
The scalp and the hair usually favor a slightly acidic pH of around 4.5 – 5.5 but the outside aggressors and other environmental factors raise the pH of the hair while moisturising agents keep the pH on the lower side.
Therefore, before you buy a shampoo to make hair soft and silky, make sure that it has healthy moisturising ingredients and a pH balanced formula.
Another factor to consider is whether your hair is chemically or color-treated since a shampoo with lots of sulfates and parabens tends to fade your color and strip the natural oils off from your hair which further damages, fluffs up and opens the cuticle resulting in dry and damaged hair. In this case, it is always better to go for shampoos that are exclusively designed for color-treated hair and that we have included in our top picks.
So there we have it; all the important and right information about using the best shampoo to make hair soft and silky so you can go shine in your lovely, smooth, soft and strong tresses with absolute confidence! Happy shampooing!