Without a shadow of any doubt, keratin treated hair looks absolutely gorgeous!
Keratin therapy is not just for a sleek and straight beautiful look but is also crucial for the overall health of your hair. A keratin treatment replaces any lost keratin by filling in the pores of your hair with it. After a keratin treatment, your hair will attain this essential protein leading to shiny, straight, and soft hair without frizz, roughness, and tangles.
But only getting a keratin treatment is not enough, it is even more necessary to maintain it afterward and that maintenance can only be attained by choosing the best sulfate-free shampoo for keratin treated hair.
Why Should I Use A Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Keratin Treated Hair?
You must be aware of sulfates that are incorporated by most shampoos for cleansing purposes.
Sulfates are great and affordable cleansing agents that help the potential of soap or shampoo to wipe out any grease, dirt, and build-up and leave the hair and skin squeaky clean. But, they can be very harmful and damaging for your hair in the long run.
This is because in the process of deep cleaning the hair and scalp, they may actually strip some essential natural oils and keratin from your scalp. Stripping these essentials off would then result in dry, static, and frizzy hair that no one wants to have!
If you have freshly got a good keratin treatment done professionally from a salon, post-keratin treatment care demands washing your hair from a complete sulfate-free shampoo. This would help in keeping the freshly instilled keratin intact for a long time which means you can flaunt your soft, smooth, and shiny hair for months.
On the other hand, if you revert to the regular sulfate-loaded shampoo that you used before a keratin treatment, then brace yourself for your hair to get back to its old frizzy texture and damage real quick!
But are you overwhelmed by so many sulfate-free shampoos flooding in the market? Don’t worry, we have got you covered.
In this article, we shall exclusively give you a detailed guideline about the 8 best sulfate-free shampoos for keratin treated hair followed by our top pick based on our ratings, recommendations, and reviews.
Overview of Our Top Picks
|Product||Key ingredients||Ideal for||Overall rating|
|OGX Ever Straightening + Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo
($5.74; 13 Fl. Oz)
|Keratin, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Cocoa Butter||Multicultural, Dry, Frizzy Hair||4.8|
|Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy Keratin Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner
($30; 13.5 Fl. Oz)
|Keratin, Soy, Wheat Protein||Color Treated, Damaged Hair||4.7|
|L’Oréal Paris Hair Care EverSleek Keratin Caring Sulfate-Free Shampoo
($10.88; 8.5 Fl. Oz)
|Sunflower Oil||Color Treated, Wet Hair||4.6|
|Art Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
($12.95; 16.5 Fl. Oz)
|Argan Oil, Coconut Oil||All Hair Types||4.5|
|Damila Sulfate and Salt Free Shampoo and Conditioner Set
($38.00; 16.9 Fl. Oz)
|Hydrolyzed Keratin, Silk Protein, Aloevera Leaf Extract, Sunflower Seed Oil||Frizzy , Chemically Treated, Damaged, Split Ends, Normal||4.5|
|Alfaparf Milano Keratin Therapy Lisse Design Maintenance Shampoo
($20.00; 8.45 Fl. Oz)
|Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Babassu Oil||Normal||4.4|
|It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Shampoo Plus Keratin
($19.02; 10.5 Fl. Oz)
|Hydrolyzed Keratin, Wheat Protein, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil||Chemically Treated, Damaged||4.3|
|Bellisso Keratin Enriched Shampoo and Conditioner Set
($23.99; 16.5 Fl. Oz)
|Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Vitamin B5||Dry, Curly, Damaged||4.3|
Detailed Reviews: Top 8 Best Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Keratin Treated Hair
Now that you have gone through this general information about all the top-notch and best sulfate-free shampoos for keratin treated hair, you may be wondering if there is one best shampoo which meets most of the demands a consumer usually makes. For us, it is the OGX Ever Straightening + Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo.
But why have we chosen it as the best sulfate-free shampoo for keratin-treated hair? Let us have a quick glimpse!
The Best Overall: OGX Ever Straightening + Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo
Why OGX Brazilian Keratin Smooth Shampoo?
Recently, OGX as a whole brand captured our attention due to its tag line that says “beauty, pure and simple” which speaks of its commitment to originality and an all inclusive hair care experience.
OGX has been announcing to the world proudly that it does not believe in making the hair “look” perfect and unattainable like celebrities but the focus is on making your existing hair texture and type to appear healthier, straighter, curlier and smoother.
This is why it has launched a great many products; all equally amazing, for every hair type while addressing several hair problems altogether very devotedly.
Amongst many products, the OGX Ever Straightening + Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo also does not fall short of its claims. As the name denotes, this shampoo is exclusively designed for post keratin therapy care to maintain those straighter hair efficiently and for a far longer period of time!
|Infusion of natural ingredients||4.8/5|
|Value for money||4.9/5|
|Post Keratin Treatment Care||4.8/5|
|Softness and Shine||4.7/5|
OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo is infused with the goodness of Brazilian Keratin Protein that penetrates deep beyond the scalp lending strength and smoothness to hair cuticles. This definitely means that with every wash, the continuous infusion of lush Keratin Protein will ensure long-lasting maintenance of your keratin treated hair to strike and keep a healthy balance. Incorporating rich keratin ingredients also means that the hair would not break, leading to fuller looking hair that the brand mainly aims for.
On the other hand, the richness of 100% pure Coconut oil facilitates in adding shine and softness to the hair, without which the keratin treated hair would not look as flawless as it aims to be. The inclusion of Avocado oil works for preventing dandruff and breakage along with detangling hair which is crucial for straighter looking hair.
Furthermore, Cocoa butter known for its gentle moisturising properties, not only imparts moisture to the hair but also replenishes oils lost due to chemical treatments and procedures like keratin treatments, thermal styling or hair dyeing procedures.
- Embracing the notion of “Natural is good”
The brand claims that its formulation strongly shows their love towards incorporating natural and pure ingredients. We agree to this point! OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo has not only infused the Brazilian Keratin Protein but also several top-rated Natural Moisturising Agents and essential oils to hydrate each hair strand that an aftercare of keratin treatment generously demands.
- A complete package of nourishment exclusively for keratin treated hair
Due to a very balanced formulation, it efficiently delivers the promised results. In keratin therapy, it is important that the hair cuticles stay strong while exuding a luminescent shine, sleek straightness and velvety softness.
Because this particular product focuses on straight hair and maintaining the straight look longer, we are happy that this focus remains constant on the promised result and is not diverted to achieve other purposes.
This altogether leads to a complete nourishment; from hydrating each hair strand to strengthening hair fibers to detangling hair in order to achieve velvet like smoothness and luxurious moisture for a perfect maintenance of keratin treated hair.
- Amazingly economical
Usually, shampoos for chemically treated hair are expensive as they strive to be sulfate free and replacing sulfates with alternate or natural agents comes with a high price tag. OGX Brazilian Keratin Therapy Smoothing Shampoo proves it wrong.
A full 13 Fl. Oz bottle costs only $5 which is remarkable given that so many natural ingredients are infused in a bottle and is free from harsh salts, sulfates and parabens. In this way, it has successfully debunked the myth of quality being costly.
- Suitable for all hair types
From thick, curly, coarse to dry, damaged, frizzy and normal , it works best for all hair types which cover the multicultural spectrum.
- Best for daily use
Because it is free from harsh sulfates, parabens and formaldehyde releasers and is rich in gentle, moisturising agents, it can easily be used as a part of your daily regimen without the worries of having your hair dried out.
- A little goes a long way
A single bottle lasts for a good period of time because only a little amount is enough to cover up the hair.
- The packaging: Huge, oval shaped bottles that are difficult to carry around and take up a lot of space in the bathroom.
- The consistency: The product when taken out is thick in texture and consistency so people trying it out would not have a proper idea about how much to use it and they may end up putting quite a lot of the product which may leave lumps if not washed and rinsed properly.
- Presence of Silicones: Despite being sulfates and paraben free, it still has some silicones present in it. Silicon does the work of smoothing hair pretty efficiently but in the long run, also tends to damage hair.
Note: It is recommended that you read the ingredients on the bottle carefully and if you find even a single thing that you are allergic to, refrain from using this product.
The scent is an irresistible blend of coconut oil and cocoa butter. Mixed together, it definitely works to provoke all your senses lusciously. When we first used this product, we loved how amazingly it satisfied our olfactory sense since the fragrance was like a rich caramel coffee and cocoa butter merged together. Instead of having a normal artificial fragrance, OGX has preferred to include a raw experience through fine and natural fragrance.
This shampoo comes in a plump, shimmering golden brown colored bottle with a flip top cap which does look appealing. However, the bottle is opaque and oval in shape. Due to the oval shape, the hand grip gets weird and difficult.
On the other hand, the opaqueness of a bottle makes it difficult to see how much product is left. Because of its overall huge size and shape, we would say it is not travel friendly.
Moreover, the cap is not sturdy and upon using the shampoo for 2 or more times, the cap loosened from its side as if it would break soon.
How does it feel on the scalp?
The shampoo is quite creamy and thick in consistency with a beautiful almond color just as the bottle. Just take out a little amount as per your hair length, rub on your palms and gently apply on damp hair and massage on your scalp with your fingers, moving towards the tips.
With the first application, we felt the shampoo to be quite warm to the scalp but it did give a nice comfortable feeling. As we massaged the shampoo, it felt like it penetrated nicely onto the scalp and formed a good lather which is unexpected from a creamy and thick shampoo. The smell was heavenly with a blend of cocoa butter, caramel, coffee and vanilla.
The shampoo was easy to wash. After rinsing the product off, the hair felt a bit clammy for a while which made us think if we have done something wrong with the amount of product used. However, once the hair was dry, it felt extremely soft, super moisturised and bouncy! The ends also felt nourished and hydrated. After a short blow dry, the hair felt amazingly manageable, shiny, straight and sleek.
Note: Since it is a thick in texture shampoo, ensure taking out little quantity and do not go overboard. For very thick and long hair till waist, two big plumps from the bottle were enough to be spread and cover the whole hair. In this regard, it may not be suitable for fine and thin hair unless the minimum possible quantity is used.
Results after using it for a week:
We did a short one week test to check if it complies to the claim of maintaining keratin treated hair and found out the following:
- The hair definitely felt super moisturised, shiny and smooth with the first wash.
- When the hair was damp, it did show some knots and tangles. We would say it did not quite impress us with its detangling properties after a wash. However after 3 consecutive washes, the tangles were gone and the hair felt much straighter.
- The luscious scent lingered on for about two days exuding freshness from the hair.
- The hair was so squeaky clean that we went three straight days without shampooing yet the grease did not really show up (really pleasantly surprising!)
Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy Keratin Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner
If you wish to achieve a professional salon like after care treatment, then this product by Keratin Complex is the right choice for you! The name itself suggests that the brand exclusively launches products made for keratin treated hair.
The infusion of top-grade Keratin protein lends strengthening properties to the hair cuticles while Wheat protein provides silkiness, essential for detangle and straight hair.
In a nutshell, if you have tried almost every color out of the rainbow for your hair and your hair has been damaged in this process, then get your hands on this shampoo that gently cleanses color treated hair, ensuring the type of bounciness you always yearned to have.
- A blend of three high quality proteins efficiently minimizes flyaways and frizzy hair to promote smoothness.
- Very gentle and gives immediate results.
- Suitable for most hair types including keratin and color treated to extremely dry and damaged hair.
- A bit on the pricier side. Not affordable for everyone.
- The smell is very odd, almost giving a weird grassy scent.
L’Oréal Paris Hair Care EverSleek Keratin Caring Sulfate-Free Shampoo
L’oreal has been providing enormous services for the beauty and hair care industry for a very long time. With thoughtful and innovative formulas for every hair problem, it has managed to make its place in almost every category when it comes to good shampoos and conditioners.
L’oreal Paris Hair Care EverSleek Keratin Caring Sulfate-Free Shampoo is one of the products highly admired by consumers these days due to its gentle formulation that contains Sunflower oil.
The oleic acid and other fatty acids present within the sunflower oil have been proven to reduce hair breakage and elongating hair strand while also increasing the number of hair follicles.
Since keratin therapy results in straight and elongated hair strands, that extension and maintenance plus an overall sleek look can easily be achieved by Eversleek keratin caring shampoo.
- Not only 100% sulfate free but also free from silicones, parabens and other harsh chemicals to preserve hair color and hair treatments.
- Budget-friendly. A full 8.5 ounces bottle costs $10 which is pretty good as compared to other sulfate-free and color treated maintenance shampoos.
- Despite being sulfate and silicones free, it forms a rich lather which leaves hair amazingly clean.
- Rich aroma and blooming fragrance of the sunflower calls for a soothing and refreshing shampoo session.
- Formulation contains several oils and ingredients extracted from nuts and foods so there is a greater chance of multiple allergies. May be very troubling for people with sensitivities and a history of allergy. It is best to check out ingredients and research thoroughly before using this product.
- Runny and watery consistency which may result in wastage of product and product not lasting long enough.
Art Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
The great thing about this shampoo is that it not only extends the life of keratin treated hair but also works to benefit the hair with the lush moisturising properties of fatty acid filled, organic Moroccan Argan Oil.
Loaded with vitamin E, Argan Oil facilitates in providing healthy moisture to dry hair while Coconut Oil, another key agent present in it ensures lustre and immaculate shine.
The whole complete blend of keratin and oils doubles up the functioning of this product to deliver hydration and nourishment to hair follicles to maintain the keratin treated hair for over several months.
- Being free from all sorts of sulfates, silicones and other aggressive chemicals the formula is gentle and is suitable for all hair types.
- Frequent washers can use this shampoo on a regular basis without the worry of getting over dried hair.
- Smooth scent; safe for people who are sensitive to strong scents.
- 100% refund and money back guarantee incase of no satisfaction.
- Very watery in texture and consistency.
Damila Sulfate and Salt Free Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Infused with Hydrolyzed Keratin, Silk Protein, Aloevera Leaf Extract and Sunflower Seed Oil, this combination works impressively well to replenish lost keratin protein from the hair while Silk protein improves elasticity to attain sleek and straight look.
On the other hand, the subtle mingling of Aloevera Leaf Extract and Sunflower Seed Oil result in reducing hair breakage and frizz, providing hair a soft and supple texture.
This product is noteworthy because it is not only sulfate free but altogether skips incorporating salt and uses mild surfactant to ensure maximum protection of keratin treated hair.
For best results, couple it up with Damila Sulfate and Salt Free Conditioner to seal the moisture in the hair cuticles and amp up more shine!
- Regular use provides intense hydration and nourishment to strengthen hair cuticles. Has good potential to extend the life of keratin treatment.
- Majorly natural formulation with botanicals; free from sulfates, salt, parabens and phthalates.
- Double the nourishment; comes with a conditioner to further enhance the effect.
- You get a full-fledged return if you are not satisfied with the product.
- Suitable for all hair types.
- Contains amodimethicone, a type of silicon which attaches itself to damaged parts of the hair to lock moisture but may build up over time on the scalp, leaving residues.
- A bit on the pricier side.
Alfaparf Milano Keratin Therapy Lisse Design Maintenance Shampoo
It is always a good idea to review some of the top-notch hair products that are exclusively used by professional salons. The Alfaparf Milano Keratin Therapy Lisse Design Maintenance Shampoo is one such shampoo that uses high quality ingredients to give you a professional salon treatment.
Enriched with Kera-Collagen Complex which is a complex based on Hydrolyzed Keratin and Quaternized Collagen effectively helps to maintain and prolong obtained keratin treatments by replacing keratin lost before and even after the treatment for smooth and strong tresses.
Moreover, Babassu Oil from the Amazon known for its emollient properties works to provide shiny, tangle-free, glossy and moisturised hair.
- Gentle formulation; free from sulfates, paraben, salt, paraffin.
- Unisex; suitable for men and women alike.
- The very innovative and key ingredients present in Lisse Design Keratin Therapy Maintenance products are professionally developed by Alfaparf Milano itself – the top-grade Italian hair care brand. This strengthens the expectations of deliverance of excellent results as well as perfect transparency.
- Great detangling abilities; makes hair amazingly tangle and knot free.
- Expensive if quantity is considered.
- Old school packaging.
It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Shampoo Plus Keratin
Provide a sheer luxury to your hair by using this amazing product exclusively designed for color and chemically treated hair.
This keratin-infused shampoo has Hydrolyzed Keratin, Wheat Protein and Jojoba Oil which altogether works to promote strong hair follicles and repair hair damage by providing essential nutrients directly to the hair.
Thanks to the addition of Jojoba Oil that has an abundance of Vitamin B complex, Vitamin C and E to lend a balanced moisture to your hair while also exuding anti-inflammatory benefits.
This product is especially best for damage caused by thermal styling, chemical treatments and sun exposure. With this powerful blend of high quality ingredients minus the harmful chemicals like sulfates and parabens, the hair is shielded against any negative effect (especially in its vulnerable wet state) that may lead to hair breakage.
Note: This is a leave-in product so apply this on wet hair for a good 3-5 mins to fully reap the protectant benefits.
- Multiple benefits; protects from sun damage, flat ironing and restores elasticity which is essential for a straight and sleek keratin look.
- Good for both wet and dry hair. For wet hair, using it before blow drying or styling will give great results and maintain the health of the hair. It can also be used on dry hair as a softening styling spray because it smoothes fly-aways on dry hair.
- Leaping bunny certified; 100% cruelty free products.
- Attractive and appealing looking bottle.
- Infused with a light and fresh scent of tea leaves.
- A little goes a long way; because of its creamy consistency you only need a little amount to clean your hair so the bottle lasts quite long.
- Does not produce much foam and lather which makes it a little tempting to use this product even more leading to over dried hair.
- Did not quite impress us with its detangling powers. There were some persistent tangles and knots.
- Unreliable packaging; there have been quite a lot of similar complaints about the shampoo pumps coming broken and the shampoo leaking while being delivered at homes.
Bellisso Keratin Enriched Shampoo and Conditioner Set
This shampoo has taken up all the supreme ingredients that assist with providing perfect protection against outside aggressors for keratin treated hair.
Usually keratin treated hair lasts 3 months but with this product, people have given positive reviews about keratin treatment lasting longer. It is because it is formulated with the help of consultations of professional salon experts.
The goodness of Silk Protein, Keratin, Collagen and Vitamin B5 forms a healthy and multi-protective liaison to provide shiny, healthy and straight hair with no rough tangles.
The Keratin effectively binds to each hair strand for massive protection against factors that weigh hair down whereas Silk protein and Collagen lends silkiness to boost hair shine and softness. The addition of one natural ingredient; the Moroccan Argan Oil gives moisturised and lustrous locks and balances the whole formulation pretty well.
- Banishes flyaways and frizz to impart natural moisture while boosting shine.
- Unisex; safe and suitable for both men and women.
- Cruelty free.
- Releases enzymes to completely clean your hair from dirt, build ups and grime.
- Despite being free from sulfates and parabens, it contains DMDM Hydantoin; a harmful formaldehyde.
- Less natural ingredients hence may not be very gentle to the scalp. May cause itchiness and dandruff to sensitive scalps.
- Artificial soapy fragrance.
How can I maintain keratin treated hair besides using a good shampoo?
Besides using a good shampoo, it is important that you do the following:
- Right after a keratin treatment, it is recommended that you do not wash your hair for at least three days and keep them dry. After that set time period, you can go on washing your hair but do not wash them daily to maintain that keratin treatment for longer.
- Do not braid your hair or tie them in a knot once your hair has been exposed to keratin treatment to avoid creases and tangles. Also, avoid tucking the hair behind your ears.
- Using a silk pillow case ensures minimal friction that may cause damage to the hair, while also retaining moisture as compared to cotton pillow cases that aggravate rubbing of the hair against the stiff cloth.
- Like water, sweat can be another enemy for your keratin treated hair. So you may want to blow dry your hair right after a workout to avoid sweat build up.
Do sulfates only harm keratin and color treated hair?
No. Sulfates have a tendency to harm every hair type. It is because in the process of cleaning the hair, they remove the natural oils of your scalp that have an interaction with natural keratin protein found in every human scalp, dissolving it. This is how it slowly strips off the naturally found keratin, leaving hair dry and frizzy.
Sulfates also tend to:
- Damage the scalp, drying it out which causes eczema.
- Break hair by weakening the hair fibres.
- Leave stains on hair follicles leading to hair fall and hair loss.
- Strip the color off for people with keratin or color treated hair which leads to repeated hair dyes and chemical treatments, completely damaging the hair.
Are the above-mentioned shampoos only good for people with keratin treated hair?
No. Since sulfates are bad for every hair type and texture, as mentioned above, these sulfate-free shampoos can be a good option to use for everyone if one is looking for less harsh products. Being sulfate-free means being gentle on the scalp and hair which leads to softer and shinier hair and less damage.
Therefore, people with virgin hair (hair that has never been colored or chemically treated) can equally achieve the same benefits. While it won’t give you that professional keratin treated sleek look, it would surely help to smooth your hair over time.
However, ensure reading our guide completely to understand which shampoo couples well with your hair type or you may end up having worse hair problems.
Not many people are aware that the most important part about getting a keratin treatment done is not the treatment itself but good proper hair care afterward.
To extend the life of your keratin therapy, it is thus best to choose the best sulfate-free shampoo for keratin treated hair which we have listed above.
Where you spend a hefty amount of money to achieve those straight and sleek locks professionally, it is not at all a bad idea about spending a little more than regular shampoos to invest in its maintenance so the treatment would last longer and you would not have to get the treatment repeatedly every month.
We hope that this detailed guide would help you maintain your lovely and healthy keratin-infused locks for a long period of time. Wishing more keratin to your amazing hair! Happy shampooing!
Leave a Reply