People with hair color always expect it to last as long as possible. Going to a hair salon for a color touch-up hurts your wallet. That is why they came up with the idea of mixing shampoo with hair dye. Will it work? This article is here to help you determine how to dilute your hair dye with shampoo and what you will need to do.
- 1 Can You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
- 2 What Are The Risks of Mixing Shampoo With Hair Dye?
- 3 How To Dilute Hair Dye With Shampoo?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Closing Points
Can You Mix Shampoo With Hair Dye?
You can totally mix the shampoo with hair dye. People often approach this method for two purposes:
- Extend the life of the dye in your hair. For touching up previously dyed hair. This approach can maintain your hair color as well as save you time and money to go to the salon. However, the shampoo will wash away a large amount of hair dye. So, it may require one or two washes one in a while.
- Get a new color in your hair for specific hair colors or tones. This approach is clearly intended for those with blonde streaks or highlights in their hair. It can work with any color, especially bright ones. But, shampoo in this situation will dilute hair dye, so you can not expect your hair to turn out with the darkest shade.
What Are The Risks of Mixing Shampoo With Hair Dye?
We listed some common risks you may involve while mixing your shampoo with hair dye as below :
- It would be very dangerous when you try to mix a bunch of chemicals. Both of them are already a hard substance by themselves. Definitely do a test strand first and check results. Wait for 5 to 10 minutes to see if there is any reddish or bad reaction. If it is not, you are good to go.
- Since you apply the mixture by yourself. It would not be evenly coated every single strand of your hair. As a result, you will have patchy, uneven hair color.
- To get the colour you want, the ratio of shampoo and hair dye is an important element. In the worst case, you will end up with a horrible color. This makes the most difference between you and your professional hairdresser. However, if you are determined to do so, test it on some strand of your hair first. Try to adjust the ratio until you get the right color.
- This sort of combination should not be used for every hair wash. If you do this, the harsh chemical will ruin all of your hair. Try to do it once every two weeks. Then do a deep conditioner so your hair gets the least damage possible.
How To Dilute Hair Dye With Shampoo?
The shampoo used to dilute hair dye should be colorless. As a result, the outcome will be easy to manage. This treatment is intended to make your hair color last longer.
To do so you will need:
- A tube of your desired hair color
- A white color shampoo
- Empty bow
Here how to do it:
- Apply the shampoo on the bow. The quantity is determined by the length and thickness of your hair. Make a large enough amount of the mixture to cover all of your hair.
- Make use of the shampoo as a foundation. Mix in the hair dye a little at a time. Stop when you see the color match your design.
- Mix well to avoid uneven color.
- Leave for no longer than 30 minutes.
- After shampooing, use a deep conditioner.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is it better to mix hair dye with conditioner than with shampoo?
Mixing hair dye with a conditioner is a better option when compared to shampoo. Not like shampoo, the conditioner is gentle for your hair. It can lighten the color of the dye. Shampoo on the other hand tends to wash it away. Mixing hair dye with conditioner makes fantasy colors end up softer.
2. Can you mix purple shampoo with hair dye?
Purple shampoo is a good choice of shampoo to mix with hair dye. Because purple shampoo is typically used to maintain hair color solution. Therefore, it is the best way to preserve your hair color.
When mixing purple shampoo with hair dye, use the purple shampoo as a base. Gradually add the dye and mix thoroughly until it gets your desired color. The entire amount will be determined by how long your hair is.
It is not recommended to use this approach every time you wash your hair. Do it once a week or when you need to preserve the color.
3. Can you mix conditioner with a semi-permanent hair color?
Only mix conditioner with semi-permanent shades. It will work best if you are using fantasy colors, or colors that are not natural. Permanent hair color that requires a developer will not mix well with conditioner, causing the dye to bond unevenly to your hair.
4. What shampoo to maintain hair dye color?
You should use color-treated hair shampoo to maintain your hair dye. It will help the color from fading. Your hair color will last for a longer period. Color-treated hair shampoo also adds stunning hues, maintains vibrancy, and kicks up your color between salon visits. They promote strength, shine, and softness for your dyed hair. So consider changing from a normal one to this type of shampoo to keep the colour last longer.
5. What shampoo is bad for colored hair?
Shampoos containing sulfate-based substances such as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, or sodium chloride should not be used if you have colored hair. This powerful detergent can quickly fade and ruin your hair colour. To avoid this, carefully read the label before applying it to your hair. Color-treated hair shampoo in this situation is considered the best option.
Mixing shampoo with hair dye is an interesting approach that saves you both money and time. Despite the benefit, it can cause you risk as professional hairdressers will not recommend doing it at home. It could lead to damaged hair, uneven tone, and unwanted shape. We hope you have fun with your hair. See you in our next post