Going bald doesn’t always mean a bad thing, as you can reinvent yourself and create a new identity. Let’s see if wigs can help you along the way!
The biggest challenge of going bald doesn’t lie in physical aspects; it’s more about the mentality. So, the first step for every bald man or woman should be to accept rather than reject it.
It’s also important to be on terms with things that being bald might entail. Wigs are often among novelties coming along with baldness, and they should come across your mind more than once.
This article will give you all the info that you need and useful tips for going bald in style.
Can You Wear A Wig If You Are Bald?
It’s literally a personal choice to wear a wig or embrace your nature.
Wigs for baldness or hair systems, if perfectly matched to the color and texture of your natural hair, can look like the real deal and mostly go unnoticed.
They can help mask your hair condition by adding real volume, bounce, and thickness patches of baldness and thinning. You get the look of a full head of hair in just a matter of seconds.
All the stereotypes should be disregarded, and wig-wearing should be seen as an accessory or a daily feature for those with baldness and hair thinning.
Wigs give a confidence boost for many bald guys and help with their identities so they can feel themselves again. Others opt for wigs simply to avoid the nuisance of constantly explaining why they go bald.
Read more: How To Hide Extensions In Very Short Hair?
Quick Facts About Wigs
Wigs are hair accessories that cover the entire scalp area. They are made from synthetic fibers, animal, or human hair.
Wigs are available in a wide range of colors, textures, lengths, and styles, so one can easily find the perfect match for their hair. This accessory also varies in price, ranging from $30 for a decent synthetic wig to $2000 for a real-hair wig.
The good news is that wigs no longer look unnatural as they used to before. These pieces on the higher end of the price spectrum can look incredibly natural and go unnoticed.
Here are some of the features of high-quality wigs:
- Expensive and high-grade wigs are often hand-crafted using natural human hair.
- They feature silicone or polyurethane bases that help them hold on to the scalp much better.
- There are lace-based systems that completely mask the wearer’s real hair.
Wigs are often a common choice for changing your look or disguising hair loss or thinning patches. Wig-wearing is prevalent among women, even when they have a full head of hair.
However, this is quite uncommon and sometimes off-putting for men who suffer from baldness to go wig. Male wigs for hair loss/baldness can go by different names, such as hairpieces, toupees, hair prosthesis, or hair systems.
There are two main types of wigs: Synthetic and Natural-haired wigs. The key distinction lies in the fiber they’re made of. Here’s a breakdown of their pros and cons so you can select the right type for yourself:
- More affordable
Synthetic wigs are less expensive than their real-deal counterparts. You can get multiple wigs to switch up styles on a regular basis without going bankrupt.
The cost of synthetic hair wigs varies greatly from $50 to $3000, whereas that of real hair wigs ranges from $700-$3000. This means that artificial wigs are a gateway choice for those just new to wigs in general or those who are shopping on a budget.
- Ideal for all-weather situations
One of the best things about synthetic wigs is that they can hold up to various types of weather conditions pretty well (better than real hair wigs).
Therefore, you don’t need to be mindful of the type of wig to choose for any specific weather situation, which will help save you plenty of time at the beginning of the day.
- Low maintenance
They require less maintenance than real-haired wigs. These artificial wigs can be easily restyled by being washed with cool water and shaking afterward before they can return to their original state.
Synthetic wigs can look incredibly natural and go unnoticed, provided that you’re willing to spend on a quality piece.
Normally, if you spend around $200-$500, you can get your hands on a high-quality piece of synthetic wig whose look is just as natural as a human hair wig.
- Amazing style memory
Synthetic wigs hold the style very well, so there’s no need for daily styling. Therefore, they come with baked-in style and curl patterns and thus can be used straight out of the box.
This can be a huge bonus for those short on time or experiencing health issues like cancer patients.
- More vibrant hues
Because synthetic wigs hold the color better than human hair wigs, they can offer more vibrant shades. This also means that their colors are not easy to fade compared to human hair wigs.
Therefore, you have more options about what color you want to put on your head.
- Shorter lifespan
A synthetic hairpiece can last around 3-6 months of daily wear when properly cared for and maintained. Meanwhile, human hair wigs can be good for up to 2-7 years with proper maintenance.
- Unnatural shine
Some “budget-friendly” wigs and toppers (often under $100) can be too shiny and unnatural-looking. It’s hard to go undetected walking around with these wigs.
There are a few things you can do to somewhat offset this downside. Wash the wig and apply hair powder and hair shampoo to make it more natural-looking. That said, on closer inspection, synthetic wigs can still exude an unnatural appearance even when you’ve done these things.
See also: The Best Shampoos And Conditioners For Tape Extensions
- Less versatile
Synthetic fibers do not take the heat well, which means they can be melted with a straightener, curling iron, or any hot styling tool. There are just a few safe options, such as combing or braiding. Plus, they cannot be colored.
- Last longer
Human hair wigs are much more durable than synthetic ones. Real-haired wigs can last over a year if daily worn and up to 3 years if worn occasionally.
- Look more natural
Since human hair wigs are essentially human hair, they boast a natural sheen and texture. Their movements and flowing are just like your natural hair, which is something that synthetic wigs still struggle to imitate.
One of the nicest things is human hair is as diverse as humans themselves.
There are an array of textures, lengths, and colors available (as long as you’re willing to pay). Hence, the wearers can find the piece that matches their hair closely, especially in terms of texture.
- More versatile
These wigs are more heat-resistant in nature, which allows for more styling options from curling, perming, straightening, dyeing, or anything you would normally do with your natural hair.
Nevertheless, if you want to change up the style of these wigs, you’ll need to turn to a stylist with prior experience in handling real hair wigs. This means that it’ll cost you extra money.
- More expensive
The fact that they are entirely made from human hair (which has a shortage of supplies) makes real-haired wigs more costly, which we already mentioned above.
- High maintenance
Real hair wigs require more maintenance. This not only involves daily styling, but also washing with the shampoo for human hair wigs and frequent deep conditioning treatment to keep the wigs smooth, full, and luscious.
Unlike synthetic wigs that hold their style, they need daily styling or after you wash them. And when it comes to styling, these wigs really call for more skills and effort.
They need to be trimmed or cut by a stylist before usage and also require regular styling when you use them.
- Affected by various factors
Human hair wigs can become dry, frizzy, and limb. It’s subject to harsh weather, sun damage, and chlorination, just like natural hair.
In addition, if these wigs are exposed to too much light, they can fade or become oxidized.
And again, just like your real hair, they’re susceptible to shredding, breakage, or damage caused by aggressive brushing and back-combing. Heat styling tools also cause as much damage to them as they would with real hair.
In other words, anything bad that can happen to real hair will also happen to these human hair wigs.
How To Wear A Wig On A Bald Head?
If you have no hair, the solution is to use double-sided wig tape to hold the wig in place while still letting you move your head naturally.
Double-sided tapes offer a stronghold where you can freely dance without moving them out of the way. They are also invisible, so you’re less likely to be detected wearing a wig.
Know how to secure a wig on a bald head with tape properly for a shower of flattering compliments for your new look:
- Wash your scalp with soap and water to remove all the dirt and oil. This helps improve the adhesion of the tap to your scalp.
- Spray a scalp protectant onto your scalp. This product will form a protective layer between your scalp and the adhesive. Plus, it also prevents oil sebum from developing to reduce the stickiness of the tape. You should not skip this step for the sake of your skin, especially when it’s highly sensitive.
- Allow time for the heat protectant to dry. It could take around 15-20 minutes, but it’s best to check the recommended time on the package. (Related: Can You Use Hairspray as a Heat Protectant?)
- Cut wig tape strips into small pieces if you use roll tape. However, we prefer the convenience of pre-cut strips.
- Peel off one side of the tape. Attach it along the hairline. Cover the front of your head before moving to the nape of your neck.
- Next, peel off the other side of all the strips. Carefully attach the wig system along the strips.
- Make adjustments as you see fit. Once the wig is in place, press it firmly for around 2 minutes to seal it to the tape.
- Style your wig to your liking.
Glue is also a great choice for securing hairpieces on bald heads. This type of adhesive gives a high level of adhesion. Normally, a wig can hang on strong on your head for up to 2-4 weeks when affixed with glue.
Like wig tape, glue is clear, so it should subtly hold the wig without catching any attention. In addition, glue is clear and doesn’t leave any residue behind on your head.
However, we don’t recommend using wig glue on sensitive scalp. Wig glue can damage your scalp and block the pores.
Even worse, the high dose of soluble latex antigen in glue can lead to severe allergic reactions called anaphylaxis, which is potentially life-threatening.
Here’s how to affix a wig to your head with a wig glue correctly:
- Start with washing your scalp with soapy water to eliminate all the oil and dirt that prevent the wig from sticking to the glue. Alternatively, rub the hairline with a cotton swab soaked with alcohol to clean it.
- Always follow up with a scalp protectant to protect the scalp and improve the adhesion. Wait for 15-20 minutes for the product to dry completely.
- Use a small brush to apply the glue along your hairline. Liquid glue is strong, and applying it sparingly should suffice for a secure attachment.
- Wait for the glue to dry to a putty-like texture. If the glue is completely dry, there is no platform for the hairpiece to stick to. On the other hand, too much moisture in the glue can leave your wig wiggling around your head. So, allow it to dry for the suggested time on the box. You can speed up the process by blow-drying the glue with cool air for 30-45 seconds until it develops a putty consistency.
- Place the front of the hair wig onto the glue using both hands. Press it down onto the glue for 1-2 minutes until it stays firmly in place.
- Place the sides of the wig on both sides of your head. Similarly, you need to press it down to the adhesive for 1-2 minutes until it can rest on your head on its own.
- Finally, bring the back of the wig to the back of your head along the glue line. Check your head carefully! There should be no wig hair hanging around your ears.
- Apply a bit of pressure on it for 1-2 minutes for the back of the wig to stay on your head without your help.
If you have a bald scalp, you can choose whether to go with a wig cap or not. However, there are a few advantages of wearing a wig cap for a bald head that is worth considering.
Wearing a wig cap can help you keep your wig fresh for longer. This accessory also offers more comfort, which means that you can wear it all day long even without realizing the wig is on your head.
Plus, it can minimize the friction that happens to your scalp when your hair starts to return.
Below is a detailed instruction on how to put on a wig with a wig cap:
- Start with putting on the wig cap to your head.
- Adjust the wig before wearing: Fluff the style by giving your wig a gentle shake.
- For curly wigs, you can slightly free the curls with your fingers.
- For a straight wig, handle the tangles by combing the hair strands using a wide-tooth comb or pick.
- Adjust the wig’s tightness if necessary. Take a look into the inside of the wig, there’s likely to have an adjustable tab for the users to figure out the right fit for their head size.
- Determine the front and the back of your wig before putting it on. You don’t want to end up with the wrong orientation after spending lots of time securing everything perfectly.
- To figure out the right orientation of your wig, look down the inside.
- The back is the part that has the label on it, whereas the top has nothing attached to it.
- Start putting on the wig.
- Hold the wig by the ear tab with both hands, then flip it over the top of your head. Tilting your head forward will make the process easier.
- Gradually slip the wig on from the front hairline and then move towards the back of your head.
- You’ll need to do some adjustments so the wig can fit seamlessly to your head. In other words, the wig should be secured at exactly where your hairline is. The approximate measurement is 4 fingers widths counting from the eyebrows onwards.
- Hold the wig with both hands and rock it back and forth until it sits right at the hairline. Pay attention to the ear tabs, as well. Never let it cover your ears up.
- Check the fit: The right fit is when the fit feels comfortable and secure when affixed to your head. If you feel it’s too tight, readjust the tab until you’re comfortable.
Useful Tips On How To Wear A Wig
- Choose the right size to have the best fit. If the wig is too large for your head size, it won’t stop wiggling around or even hair air pockets. If the wig is too small, on the other hand, it tends to move toward the back of your head.
- If you’re already committed to wearing wigs, it’s best to have at least 2 wigs in your collection so you can rotate them every day. Therefore, you can wash one and use another. This also helps reduce wear and tear, which extends the wigs’ lifespan.
- Gel-filled cushion bands help eliminate the pressure point on your scalp and also help secure the wig further. Purchase this accessory if you’re new to wearing wigs, need to wear the wig for an extended time, or simply seeking extra comfort.
- Most wigs will have an adjustable tab inside them. You should make the most out of this feature to get a custom fit for your head.
- You may want to trim off one wig shorter when your hair grows back. It’s not an essential step but do it if you want to give the impression of a gradual change.
- Last but not least, confidence is key. This applies to both wearing clothes and wigs.
What Are The Advantages Of Wig For Hair Loss?
Fast And Easy Solution To Baldness And Hair Thinning
Wigs provide an instant improvement to your look that you can change at your whim. They disguise bald spots and make your hair feel fuller and luscious again. So, if you experience bald pattern hair loss, wigs can be an easy fix.
Unlike other hair loss treatments, which can take a long time to show effectiveness, you can grab the hairpiece, pin it on your hair, and you’re all set! Thus, it’s a quick solution for effective hair restoration.
This is also a popular choice for those undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Wigs help cover up temporary hair loss until their hair grows back again.
If you invest in a good quality wig, you can expect gradient, natural-looking hair. High-end wigs, for example, are made of human hair and also custom-fitted to your scalp.
Wigs can look very real. Chances are you’ve seen a lot of movie stars with wigs to conceal their bald patches without even realizing it.
Plus, hair wigs are highly diverse in terms of lengths, hues, and textures. This means that you have more options to choose the best wig that matches your hair perfectly. This ensures a more natural look when you put it on.
Not Uncomfortable As You Might Think
Wigs are neither hot nor uncomfortable to wear at all, which makes them suitable for all-day wear. Some people expect their wigs to have a weight to them, but they turn out just as heavy as the real hair.
The only thing that can bother you at first is the feeling of the tape pressing on your head, but you’ll soon get used to it.
If you’re suffering from hair thinning, a wig can give the impression of fuller and luscious hair immediately. You can also have the free style and shape it as you would with your real hair.
All of these advantages help restore your confidence, and you can be out and about daily knowing that your hair is as full as can be.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Wig?
Wigs are an investment, especially when you want them to look as natural as possible. Yet, rest assured you’re getting what you pay for. The quality of human-haired wigs, in particular, matches its high price tag as well.
To be specific, the average price range of human hair wigs in today’s market is around $700-$3000, which is quite an investment.
Limited In Some Activities
Wigs are not meant to sleep in. Therefore, you’ll need to remove them before going to bed, or you risk waking up to a mess of tangled hair. After all, why sleep with your wig when it can cause you discomfort?
Because they are not completely affixed to your scalp (in the way that your natural hair does), wigs can come off anytime, especially with strong movements.
Swimming is also out of the question, as the water will loosen the adhesive and flush away the wig very soon.
In addition, it’s not advisable to wear wigs while attending BBQs. Not only the smokiness can make your wigs smell horrible, but those synthetic hair strands will wither exposed to the high heat.
Do You Have To Be Bald To Wear A Wig?
Wearing wigs is now pretty common, even when you’re blessed with a full head of hair.
For example, women wear wigs for various reasons. It could be for an aesthetic look, or when they want to change their experience or something, it’s just to match an outfit perfectly.
Of course, wigs are a popular choice for those who want to feel better when they’re suffering from hair thinning and loss.
Do You Need A Wig Cap If Your Head Is Bald?
Yes, as mentioned, wig caps are one of the best ways to secure a wig on a bald head. Without them, irritation or chafing can happen. What a wig cap does is provide a protective layer between your scalp and the wig, and also allows the scalp to breathe.
Is It Ok To Wear A Wig Everyday On Bald Head?
It’s fine to put on a wig every day as long as you properly care for and maintain your hair and scalp underneath. Whether with or without the coverage of a wig or any accessories such as hats or scarves, your hair and skin cells still stick to their course of growth.
Hair is a crucial part of our identity, and our hairstyle is a testament to who we are. However, losing our hair doesn’t have to mean losing ourselves.
We hope this article can help you deal with hair loss more confidently. With the improvements in technology, wigs now can look like the real deal, and most lay eyes cannot tell the difference.
You May Also Like:
Leave a Reply