Dry shampoo helps maintain a clean look and feel of your scalp and hair. In between washes, your hair may tend to get greasy or flat. Dry shampoo typically utilizes an agent that sucks up excess grease, dead skin cells, and odors, to provide you with refreshed hair.
Dry shampoo usually adds volume and helps preserve your hair?s style as well. It is a spray-on product that is massaged into the roots of your hair for these benefits.
Dry shampoo has been all of the rage lately?its been mentioned by large magazines like Vogue and endorsed by celebrities and YouTubers alike. For this reason, popular dry shampoo brands may be out of your budget, especially if the purchase isn?t urgent. However, there is a DIY for everything, even dry shampoo!
Making DIY dry shampoo is a cool and fun project to try at home. Perhaps you want to save some money, experiment with ingredients, or get creative! Making your DIY shampoo is a great option for all.
On the shelves, there are many different types and formulas of dry shampoo. Some are made for lighter hair tones, others for darker ones. Some dry shampoos are moisturizing, while others focus on removing moisture. Some of them are made for straight hair, while others are made for curls.
Dry shampoo variety is present in DIY too. There are different ingredients and formulas that can be used to create the perfect dry shampoo for your needs! Here are some of our favorite DIY dry shampoo recipes.
DIY Dry Shampoo For Dark Hair
Many dry shampoos tend to leave a white cast or residue in darker toned hair colors. However, by using the right ingredients, you can achieve a dry shampoo tone that blends in perfectly with your hair color!
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 cup of witch hazel or rubbing alcohol
- Your favorite essential oil or scent
- 1 of cocoa powder (for the darker color)
- 1. Mix all of your ingredients with the correct proportions together.
- 2. Pour into an empty spray bottle. You can get one of these at your local beauty supply or drug store.
- ?3. Shake the bottle up.
- ?4. Spray into the roots of your hair. Keep the bottle a few inches away from your scalp while spraying.
- ?5. Massage in.
- 6. Shake well before each usage!
DIY Dry Shampoo – Baking Soda
This type of DIY dry shampoo utilizes baking soda as the ingredient that sucks moisture away from the roots. Baking soda is an essential agent in the cleaning and freshening process of your hair.
- 1 cup of corn starch
- 1 cup of baking soda
- A bowl
- A container
- Take your equal parts cornstarch and baking soda and mix them thoroughly in your bowl.
- Use your fingertips or a makeup brush to dust some of the mixed powder into your roots lightly.
- Massage into scalp until residue disappears.
- Use a hairbrush or clean makeup brush to remove excess if you used too much powder.
- Store in the container for future use.
Tip: For an added scent, add a spritz of your favorite hair spray or perfume above the mix!
DIY Dry Shampoo For Dry Scalp
Some dry shampoos can be overly drying, especially for those with curly hair, thicker hair, or dryer scalps. Here is a recipe for a dry shampoo that will remove excess dirt while keeping your scalp healthily moisturized!
- One tablespoon of baking soda
- ? cup of corn starch
- Two drops of rosemary essential oil
- Two drops of cedarwood essential oil
- Empty salt shaker
- One drop of tea tree oil
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Start with the powders and then add the oils. If you have dark hair, add some cocoa powder into the mix for color.
- Using a spoon, carefully sift the powder into an empty salt shaker.
- Lightly shake the powder into the roots of your hair.
- Massage the residue into your scalp.
- Let it sit.
This recipe is amazing for a dry scalp. The cornstarch acts as the cleaning agent by soaking up dirt, odors, and excess oils. However, good oils are added into the mix for a healthy and moisturized scalp that will leave you flake and irritation free!
Other DIY Dry Shampoo Hacks
Besides the previous recipes, there are some DIY Dry Shampoo Hacks that only require one simple ingredient. You probably have most of these lying around in your household, so give them a try!
- Baby powder – can be lightly sprinkled into the roots for ASAP dry shampoo! Just massage it into your scalp and you are done! Make sure you don’t use too much so that you don’t get any white residue.
- Cheesecloth – can be wrapped around a comb and brushed through the hair to create a dry shampoo effect. The cheesecloth soaks up excess moisture from your hair and scalp.
- Flour – can be used as a volumizing dry shampoo. You can also add it to any of the previous recipes for a volumizing effect.
- Baking Powder – is a great DIY dry shampoo for those with extremely greasy scalps and hair. If you have trouble controlling your oil, baking powder will do the trick! Just sprinkle a small amount into your roots and massage it in.
DIY Dry Shampoo is really easy, affordable, and fun to make! If you want to let out your inner creative and save some money, you can make a great shampoo for your hair type out of simple household items and ingredients.
Making a DIY Dry Shampoo would be a fun group activity for events like slumber parties. This process is a great way for hair care lovers to bond and have fun while making something useful.
I am sure like everyone else, you too want to sport great hair. If you want to look gorgeous, it's imperative that you take care of your hair. Most people tend to damage their hair when they try...
Do you hate shampooing your hair because of the effort and time the process takes? No worries, the Shampoo Brush provides thorough cleaning of hair and scalp, making shampooing easier. We all...