Are you thinking about how to lighten your hair with Developer and Shampoo?
Well, you have come to the right place! This article will give you all the information that you need about this easy and effective method of hair lightening.
One of the very first things that people notice is our hair! That is why people invest so much time in making their hair look the best.
Whilst going to the salon is, certainly, an available option, people now prefer to avoid the hubbub at salons and have switched to making their hair-lightening experience, a rather, more peaceful one.
How’s that, you may ask? Well, it is by simply making use of just two main ingredients in the comfort of their homes. Those two simple ingredients are Developer and Shampoo!
It is essential to ensure that your hair is not damaged before trying any kind of hair-lightening treatment. Hair lightening treatments should only be used if your hair is in a good condition.
To nourish your hair before any hair lightening treatment, you need to apply a deep conditioning hair mask.
Oiling your hair is a good way to effectively nourish your hair. You should regularly oil your hair thrice a week. Continue to regularly oil your hair at least two weeks before the hair lightening treatment.
A good hair oil massage has many benefits. It improves blood circulation on the scalp. It also makes your hair silky and smooth.
You can use coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil to give your hair the moisturizing boost that it needs! Do not forget to let the oil sit on your scalp for at least an hour before washing.
Then, use a sulfate-free shampoo to wash your hair.
Prepare the mixture of developer and shampoo
Things you will need are:
- A developer (aka hydrogen peroxide)
- A shampoo of your choice
- A plastic bowl for making the mixture
- Rubber gloves to avoid any irritation on the hands
- A headcover
- A brush
- An old t-shirt to avoid any possible stains.
- An old towel to avoid any possible stains.
- A spoon to measure.
Now let’s mix the ingredients:
- Add two tablespoons of the developer along with the shampoo. Mix these ingredients in the plastic bowl well. The shampoo should be about the same amount that you use to wash your hair normally.
- You can add conditioner to the mixture for moisturizing your hair and making them soft.
- Do a little patch test on your hand or elbow to see if you are allergic to any of the mixture ingredients. If the area on your hand or elbow becomes itchy or red after applying, do not proceed further. However, if there is no reaction at the site of the application, then proceed ahead.
Related: How To Dilute Developers?
Steps to Lighten Hair with Developer and Shampoo
Lightening your hair using a Developer and Shampoo is an easy task! Follow the instructions to achieve your desired look.
Step 1: Wear an old T-shirt and rubber gloves
Wear any old t-shirt to avoid staining and wear rubber gloves for safety and then start with the procedure.
Step 2: Wash your hair
Wash your hair and then use a towel to soak up the excess water. Your hair should be damp and not soaking wet before applying the mixture.
However, if there is no reaction at the site of the application, then proceed ahead.
Step 3: Use a brush to apply the mixture evenly to your hair
If you don’t want to lighten your entire hair, then just apply this mixture to the parts you want.
Start applying from the top and then proceed downwards on your hair. Make sure the hair is covered thoroughly with the mixture.
Step 4: Cover your hair with a hair cap and wait around 30’
After you have applied the mixture, cover your hair with a hair cap or aluminum foil to speed up the process of lightening your hair.
The trapped heat will quicken up the speed of the process. Remove the hair cap at regular intervals to check the hair color change.
It would take around 30 minutes to see a color change. Do not exceed the time beyond one hour.
Step 5: Rinse the hair
Once the desired hair color is achieved, rinse off the mixture residues using lukewarm water and finish with cool water.
Use a shampoo and conditioner to thoroughly rinse the hair. Finally, dry your hair and style as per your desire.
As your hair was exposed to a developer, it is now important to take extra care of them.
- Continue to regularly oil your hair to nourish them.
- Buy a good quality sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Buy a moisturizing serum to revitalize the hair.
- Avoid or limit using heat from hair tools like straighteners and curling wands.
- Protect your hair from the light and heat of the sun as well.
- Use a leave-in conditioner after shampooing.
- Apply a deep conditioner weekly.
See also: How To Whiten Gray Hair With Peroxide?
About Developer and Hair lightening shampoos
Developer is a chemical solution consisting of hydrogen peroxide in varying concentrations. You must be thinking about what a developer does. Well, it’s safe to say that without a developer, hair dye would literally have no effect.
A developer lifts the cuticle layer from the hair. This is how the color is able to penetrate into the hair shaft.
There are Developers with different variations of hydrogen peroxide:
- The 10 volume developer consists of 3% peroxide. This is the weakest level developer. This kind of developer darkens hair by only one level. It is also ideal to use for people with thin or fine hair as it will not damage hair too much.
- The 20 volume developer consists of 6% peroxide. This kind of developer can change your hair color by one to two shades
- The 30 volume developer consists of 9% peroxide. This is a strong developer. You can alter your hair color by three to four shades using this. However, it is recommended to be used on thick and coarse hair types as this developer can damage fine and thin hair types.
- The 40 volume developer consists of 12% peroxide. This is the strongest developer available. This can alter your hair color by up to eight shades.
It is highly advised that this kind of developer should only be used in a salon under professional care. Using it on your own can severely damage your hair if not applied correctly.
List of Recommended Developers:
|20 volume developer||30 volume developer||40 volume developer|
|L’oreal Oreor Creme||L’oreal Paris Oreor||L’oreal Oreor Creme|
|L’oreal Maji Creme||Salon Care Creme||Superstar Stabilized Creme|
|Schwarzkopf Igora||Sensitive Scalp Creme||Salon Care Creme|
- Is it Right to Use Different Brands of Color and Developer?
- Can I Use 20 Volume Developers With Demi-Permanent Color?
- Can You Mix Purple Shampoo With Developer To Change Your Hair Color?
Hair lightening shampoos
Hair-lightening shampoos have become increasingly popular. If you are looking for a color change that is not so drastic, then hair-lightening shampoos are perfect for you!
Some shampoos consist of certain ingredients which help to lighten the hair color over time.
However, this method will not provide you with instant results. You will need a lot more patience and time to see the results.
But, one of the good things about using this kind of shampoo is that minimum damage will occur to your hair. And, that’s a huge plus point!
Using it for a consistent time will give you your desired hair lightening change. We have compiled a list of the best hair-lightening shampoos for you!
Tio Nacho Natural Lightening and Volumizing Shampoo
This formula uses chamomile extract to boost hair color. It works especially well for people with blonde hair.
Royal jelly provides intense hydration. It thoroughly rejuvenates the scalp. This is a holy-grail product for sure!
Pureology Strength Cure Blonde Purple Shampoo
This sulfate-free formula nourishes the hair from within. It provides deep moisture and makes the scalp clean.
With 100% vegan ingredients, this shampoo is an ideal choice to buy!
FEKKAI Baby Blonde Shampoo
This shampoo contains chamomile extract for the natural brightening of hair. It is free from any parabens and sulfates.
To get a good boost of hydration and rejuvenation of the hair, buy this holy grail product!
John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo and Conditioner
This shampoo works wonders with its citrus lightening complex and chamomile extracts.
Using this shampoo effectively moisturizes each strand of hair. It leaves you with a sun-kissed glow!
Grisi Manzanilla Gold, Extra Lightening Shampoo
This product contains chamomile extract for natural hair brightening.
The chamomile strengthens your hair and makes them silky smooth to the touch. It has turmeric extracts that make your hair healthy.
The Nutri complex Q10 formula nourishes each strand of each.
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Visibly Brighter Bundle
This duo gently nourishes your hair. This duo enhances your natural hair color. The color change is subtle. This is ideal for people who do not want a drastic hair color change.
Noughty Blondie Locks Blonde Enhancing Shampoo
This paraben-free formula gently cleanses the scalp and lightens the hair color. It is made from natural ingredients and is 100% vegan.
This formula uses 11 amino acids to help enhance hair color. It also prevents the color from fading away.
With the above information, now, you have a clear understanding of how to lighten hair with a shampoo and developer.
This is an effective hair lightening method that gives quick results while ensuring minimal damage to the hair! Following these few simple steps will help you to achieve your desired hair color.
What are you waiting for? Let’s go and lighten the hair!
You May Also Like:
Leave a Reply