One way or another, there will be a time when you will need to shower without your hair getting wet. Yes, it is a little bit time-consuming and may seem like a hassle, but at the very least, it is not an impossible mission.
For whatever reason, showering without getting your hair wet isn’t really that difficult. There are plenty of different methods you can choose from for you to protect your hair from getting wet during your shower.
Anyways, without further ado, here are the different ways on how you can keep your hair from getting wet in the shower:
Why Washing Your Hair Daily Is Not Recommended?
Keeping your hair clean is essential, especially since the buildup of oil and grease in your scalp can lead to various conditions like dandruff and impede hair growth. However, overwashing your hair by doing so daily can also lead to negative effects.
Experts don’t recommend daily hair washing because doing so will strip your hair of the natural oils it needs to stay healthy and vibrant. Not only will it dry your hair and scalp, leading to dull and limp hair, but the dryness can also irritate your scalp, resulting in bad dandruff.
Overwashing can also make your hair more brittle, making them prone to breakage and frizzing. Similarly, if you have colored hair, frequent washing will fade the color faster.
How to Shower Without Getting Hair Wet?
Use a Shower Cap
The first method is the most common yet effective one of all. When it comes to showering without getting your hair wet, the shower cap is always the first thing that pops into anyone’s head. Shower caps were invented for the sole purpose of keeping your hair dry when you are in the shower.
Shower caps are perfect for short to medium-length hair. People with long hair can still use the shower cap to keep their hair dry; they just need to put a little bit of extra effort into it.
Putting on a shower cap may seem simple enough, but water could still get into your hair if you don’t know the correct way to do this.
How to put on a shower cap?
- Tie your hair into a bun. Of course, this won’t apply to people with short hair. For people with very long hair, bobby pins or clips are necessary to ensure that your hair bun stays in place.
- Put the shower cap on your head carefully.
- Ensure that all your hair strands are tucked in the shower cap. Otherwise, some of your hair may get wet during your shower.
- After finishing your shower, make sure that you carefully remove the shower cap since it might still get your hair wet if not carefully removed.
Use a Towel
Towels are not for drying your hair but also for keeping it dry during the shower. Some people actually prefer this method rather than the shower cap because it tends to be more effective in keeping the hair dry, especially during a steamy shower.
Using a towel as protection for your hair is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Find a big enough towel that can wrap your hair.
- Bend down your head a little bit so you can see your toes.
- Flip your hair down.
- Wrap the towel around your head.
- Start twisting the ends of the towel.
- Flip over the towel and secure it.
You can use both the shower cap and towel together for a more effective way to keep your hair dry. Just put on the shower cap as usual and put on a towel after that. This will ensure that no steam will ever get into your hair.
Indeed, you can use a regular towel for such a method, but it is much more advisable to use a turban wrap towel. These microfiber towels are great for keeping your hair dry, and they can easily be bought online.
Another reason why people would prefer the towel over the shower cap is that the shower cap tends to ruin a hair blowout. So, suppose you ever experience a ruined blowout after wearing a shower cap. In that case, you might want to use a towel instead to protect your hair from moisture.
Use a Plastic Bag
Alright, this is for people who don’t have a shower cap in hand and would like to keep their hair dry from the shower. This method is pretty simple and cost-effective because a regular plastic bag that you can get from your groceries is all you really need.
Here’s how to keep your hair dry while showering using a plastic bag:
- To use a plastic bag, first put the plastic bag on top of your head.
- Make sure to tuck in every hair inside the plastic bag.
- After that, tie in the handle of the plastic bag below your neck to keep it in place.
- Make sure to adjust it to protect your hair from the water.
- To ensure that your hair remains dry, you should tie your hair into a bun, just like the shower cap method.
Additional Note: Clip it down to ensure it won’t slide down during the shower, and you have your very own cheap shower cap.
Adjust Your Shower Angle
Besides being costless, another good thing about this method is that it will be much more comfortable for you during the shower because you won’t be wearing anything on your head.
- If your hair is long, it’s still essential to tie it highly.
- Adjust the angle of your showerhead so that it will not hit your hair
- Turn it on first before you proceed with your shower to see where the water hits.
- After that, take your regular shower.
Just make sure that you are careful during your shower because a little mistake means you end up with semi-wet hair. If ever you are in a hurry, you might want to avoid this method because the chances of getting your hair wet are pretty high.
Likewise, if you have a detachable handheld showerhead, you can use it to manually aim at other parts of your body when you shower to avoid getting your hair wet.
Take a Bath in a Bathtub
Another way to avoid getting your hair wet is to take a dip instead of a shower. Just make sure that you don’t get your hair near the water during your bath.
If you have short hair, taking a bath will undoubtedly be no problem at all, but if you have long hair, you might want to tie it up so that it won’t get into the water.
- Fill your bathtub.
- Slowly go for a dip in your tub.
- Make sure to keep your hair away from the water.
Bathtubs are great since you can also relax in them, but if you are in a hurry, this method might not be for you because you will be spending a lot of time here.
Use a Water Dipper for Taking a Bath
Most Asians actually use this kind of method in taking a bath. You will need to have a pail or some sort of storage for the water and your water dipper as well. Fill up your storage with water and just take some water using the dipper and pour it onto your body.
Water dippers are great, especially if you are in a hurry. With a water dipper, you can pour a significant amount of water into your body within seconds and get it totally wet.
Baths with a water dipper can easily be finished within 5-10 minutes, depending on how fast you can clean your body with soap.
- To use a water dipper, you just need to fill a container with water.
- Place your water dipper in the container to get some water.
- Pour the water on your body.
- Apply some body wash or soap to your body.
- Rinse it with water using your water dipper.
Water dippers aren’t that expensive, and they are sturdy enough to last for years up to years. The only problem with water dippers is that they might be a little wasteful when it comes to water.
Have a Sponge Bath
Sponge baths aren’t actually just for sick people but also for people who want to keep their hair dry during their baths. Sponge baths are great since they will ensure that your hair will never get wet, and also, it is a bit relaxing compared to the traditional ways of taking a bath.
- Prepare a big enough sponge for your body and some sort of storage for the water, a basin or pail perhaps.
- Soak up the sponge with water.
- Gently rub your body with the sponge, and that is it.
If you want to use soap for your bath, you can mix it with your water.
Washing your hair daily can actually have negative consequences on your hair since doing so can strip your hair of its natural oils and moisture, leaving it dry, dull, and prone to damage. That’s why it’s essential to keep our hair dry whenever we take our daily showers.
With that said, these are the different ways you can protect your hair from getting wet during your shower. All of the methods are effective, and it is solely up to you which one works best for you.
Leave a Reply