What Happens If You Drink Shampoo?

Shampoo is a mixture of chemicals used to clean the scalp and hair. Of course, we never had the intention to take them as a drink. However, for some careless reason, we maybe drink it by mistake.

The question is whether drinking shampoo can cause death, does it have serious health effects, and how to handle the above situation. Keep scrolling and we’ll give you specific answers to your questions!

What happens if you drink shampoo?

Depending on the amount of shampoo and the type of shampoo, the situation will be different:

Drink a small amount:

  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain and diarrhea

Drink a fair amount:

  • Possibility of poisoning
  • With some toxic shampoos can damage the intestinal tract
  • Drinking too much shampoo can die

Shampoo is a type of detergent. Depending on the type of shampoo, it will also have different cleaning abilities. However, what they all have in common is that it will harm you if you drink them.

The detergents in shampoo really make you feel uncomfortable
The detergents in shampoo really make you feel uncomfortable

Depending on the amount of shampoo you drink into your body, it will happen in many cases. The detergents in shampoo really make you feel uncomfortable.

Shampoos Hub x
Shampoos Hub

You drink a small amount of shampoo

The first thing you encounter when ingesting a small amount of shampoo will be vomiting. Because shampoos contain many different fragrances. Most of you will spot them as soon as you put them in your mouth.

Most of the current shampoos in the composition are mainly anionic. Or non-anionic surfactants, aromatic essential oils. There may also be ethanol, methanol or isopropyl alcohol. The main salts in shampoo ingredients are inorganic salts, usually non-toxic sodium chloride.

If you drink a very small amount of shampoo. You will experience nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. After you take measures to remove the shampoo from the body. You can alleviate these symptoms. 

Drinking peppermint shampoo will harm your kidneys
Drinking peppermint shampoo will harm your kidneys

If ingested in moderate amounts. These products can cause mild poisoning or gastrointestinal disturbances. Drinking more can mess with electrolytes. If aspiration into the lungs a lot can cause chemical pneumonia.

In the case of small amounts of these shampoos swallow, tests are not necessary. But if it is a large amount you must go to medical facilities for treatment immediately.

You drink a large amount of shampoo

Shampoo may not kill you if taken in small amounts. But when you drink a large amount, many situations occur. For example, you can have intestinal damage, chemical poisoning and even death.

The notable toxin in the shampoo is isopropyl alcohol. It is readily absorbed and rapidly distributed, with a volume of distribution of 0.6L/kg.

The yeast alcohol dehydrogenase present in the human body converts isopropyl alcohol into acetone. With a half-life of 2h30′ – 3h. For 70% isopropyl alcohol solution, only 0.5 – 1ml/kg ingestion is enough to cause poisoning. Of course, the symptoms of poisoning will be difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, nausea, headache…

It is difficult to describe all the situations you will encounter. But it will certainly be very annoying.

Essential oils in shampoo also irritate the mucous membranes. Just 10ml of concentrated oil preparation is enough to cause convulsions. And depression of the central nervous system. Alcohol can cause hypoglycemia in children.

Particularly, menthol in shampoo has a higher risk of toxicity. Ingestion of large amounts of this substance causes nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Which can affect the central nervous system.

If the shampoo ingredients contain pulegone volatiles. It will transform into toxic to the liver and lungs after you drink it into the body. Just 5ml is enough to cause symptoms of poisoning and death if swallowed up to 15ml. You can die if you swallow a large enough amount of shampoo. Before death comes you may have to experience discomfort.

Symptoms of liver damage and abdominal pain along with impaired consciousness appear early. Progression of hypotension and metabolic acidosis.

You will also have uncontrollable vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, and bloody stools. Kidney failure is common after drinking large amounts of shampoo containing mint.

How does drinking shampoo affect health?

Drinking shampoo can cause a lot of bad effects on your body.

First, if you ingest a small amount of shampoo. You may experience digestive upset, headaches, and nausea. Because the functions of the digestive system will impair. Due to the effects of detergents in shampoos. In some cases, taking a lot of shampoo can cause stomach ulcers, wear down the intestinal wall.

Essential oils can inhibit the central nervous system causing seizures. You will feel a constant headache for a long period of time. It affects your activities and ability to work.

Drinking a lot of shampoo can make your internal organs less able to work. Mainly because cleaning agents convert to toxins. Especially the liver and kidneys. These are the two internal organs that will have the most impact.

With shampoos that have a lot of mint. You can have acute kidney failure, mint is also a nerve blocker that makes you feel confused.

Drinking too much shampoo will cause you to die. But whether you drink a lot or a little, it will make your body imbalance. As a result, some internal organs decline in function and are difficult to recover.

What should I do when I drink shampoo?

Check the label to see what the instructions say if it is ingested and if there is a need to call poison control. Most soaps have a pH that is basic so it will be fairly well neutralized in the acidic confines of the stomach. 

However, shampoos that contain many chemicals can cause any harm to your body. When you drink the wrong shampoo, take the following measures. Even if you drink a small amount.

Should drink white water to dilute the poison
Should drink white water to dilute the poison
  • Do not be afraid, calmly learn and handle correctly. Search and check the chemicals in the shampoo to determine the name of the chemical. Check the information about the chemical type, quantity, and time taken. To give timely and accurate solutions.
  • Stimulating vomiting to vomit out the chemical just swallowed. For example, drink 200-300ml of 0.9% saline and then pick your throat with your hand to stimulate vomiting.
  • Should drink water to dilute the poison. In most cases of shampooing, you should drink plenty of water. To dilute chemicals, reduce mucosal irritation.
  • After that, you should go to the nearest medical facility for examination and testing. In cases of drinking a lot of shampoos. Need to go to the hospital for treatment immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it necessary to induce vomiting immediately after ingesting shampoo?

You should do so, in the case of ingesting shampoo, inducing vomiting is the best measure. Because you can minimize the amount of chemicals entering your body by vomiting them out.

What is the best thing to do after inducing vomiting?

After vomiting, you should drink plenty of water. Mineral water will help you dilute the chemicals of the shampoo. It also eases the burden on the kidneys and liver when working.

Do I need to go to the hospital to get checked when I drink shampoo?

For the best you should have tests at the hospital. It ensures that your health is already safe. Then, your doctor will give you the most appropriate solution to help you recover.


As you know, shampoo is not a drinkable substance. It contains many chemicals and detergents. They will reduce the ability of organs in the body to function.

In this article we have shared with you “what happens if shampoo goes in your mouth”. Hopefully, you will be more secure when you have the knowledge that we share!

See also:

Edna Feber

I’m Edna. I'm here to guide you about hair products and maintenance tips. You'll fine here product reviews regarding hair tools, hair color, hair care and more along with tips to keep your hair healthy!

3 thoughts on “What Happens If You Drink Shampoo?

  1. I washed my hands using shampoo, then i rinsed it with water, i ate an orange but i was scared that the shampoo remained in my hands, i brushed it off but i was in horror when i could blow bubbles with my mouth, wanted to vomit and had diarreah, should i be concerned? what should i do? (head and shoulders btw)

    1. Sorry for the late reply
      But in case someone can be in the condition as you, I’ll still answer this.
      1. Check the label to see what the instructions say.
      2. Check if you have any signs of nausea or headache.
      – If yes, inducing vomiting is the best measure. And then drink plenty of water, you’ll be fine.
      – If not, I believe that nothing happened. Don’t worry too much.

  2. I ran out of shampoo so i put a little bit of water.. when i rinse my hair the bubble i accidentally swallow..i can’t breath but i calm my self and drink some water from the shower and i vomit a lot ..do i have to go to the hospital or no need ..i cannot read the instruction in the shampoo bottle because it is written in japanese ..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Recent Posts