“What is the capacity of a shampoo bottle?” Are you a curious customer who wants to know why they always make shampoo bottles the same size? Are you a marketing student who wants to figure out the reasons the sizes are for? This article will talk about the units to measure shampoo, as well as the popular shampoo capacities for bottles on the market.
What is the capacity of a shampoo bottle?
A typical shampoo bottle falls into one of three most popular capacities which are 200ml, 300ml, or 500ml. These are absolutely not random values that the marketers of brands came up with out of nowhere. But there are real scientific reasons with lots of market research behind those sizes.
200ml (around 6-7 oz)
This type isn’t usually made for family, but intended for single customers. This size is enough for a typical living-along customer to use in a month or even two if their hair doesn’t need much.
300ml (10 oz)
The capacity is made for couples. All of you have known that men don’t usually use as much shampoo as women. Therefore, as calculated, 300ml is fine for a couple of a man and a woman to use in a month or two.
500ml (16 oz)
The capacity is made for the entire family. This value is estimated on the studies of family sizes and the frequencies of them buying shampoo. This is estimated to be enough for a medium-sized family in a month or two.
See also: How Much Does A Bottle Of Shampoo Weigh?
On what unit should we measure shampoo bottle capacity?
Depending on the country and territories the shampoo is being sold in, we see some different units for the sizes. Here are the most popular units for shampoo bottle capacity:
- Gallon: A gallon can be converted into metric units of liters to be around 4.5 liters,
- Fluid ounce (sometimes oz): A fluid ounce is equal to around 29.6 milliliters.
- Millimeter: A milliliter is measured to be exactly one thousandth of a liter. Milliliter is popular outside of the US and US territories, while gallon and oz are popular to the American citizens.
No matter which unit the brands use for their products, they still do extensive research on what sizes they should make the bottles to be. The sections below will talk about how they did that.
How did they come up with the shampoo bottle capacity?
Understand their shampoo
If you’re one of the chemical lovers in high school, you should know that different substances might have different volumes with the same weight. Therefore, the brands’ labs first need to understand what they are making in the process, the chemicals inside it, how much they weigh, and how much space in the bottle they take.
Typically, adding colors or smells to the shampoo should increase the capacity needed in the bottle. Therefore, the scientists always try to separate the substances and make up a sheet about the properties of each one of them. They, then, try to add them one by one into the mixture until they find the perfect recipe.
Different types of hair use different amounts of shampoo. The ultimate goal of making a shampoo bottle is to make the customers satisfied with the volume, the price, and the size of the bottle. The job of the market researchers is to outline different types of hair people possess in the world.
Some types of hair might be more popular than others, so they also need to estimate the statistics about what proportion each type represents.
Aside from the type of hair, they also need to think about their markets. Researching all the types of hair in the world while only selling products in the US is not a great idea. Therefore, researchers always try to focus more on the main market they make the product for.
On some necessary occasions, they might need to do different research for different markets to understand the smallest details about each.
Customer research should be the most important thing to think about. The customers care about three things when buying a bottle of shampoo:
- First of all, the price on capacity ratio: All customers care about the price; however, in the era of smart buying, they don’t always care about big bottles but the price on capacity ratio. You want to choose the sizes so that the customers always feel like making the right choice and that the product they buy is worth the money they spend.
- Secondly, the size of the bottle: The perfect height and width of the bottle are the factors that trick the customers into thinking about the capacity inside. However, there comes a problem that when you make a bottle too high or too wide, they would take up too much space in the shelves of some stores, or they would not fit at all. You don’t want your shampoo bottles to be separated into somewhere nobody cares about just because they don’t fit.
- Finally, the period of time they use it: Not a single customer wants to head out every week to buy a new shampoo bottle, so you need to fill the shampoo bottle enough for most people to use in a relatively long period of time, so they feel like they’re being treated well. However, you also don’t want your shampoo bottle to be able to be used for a year or two, simply because you wouldn’t have a chance to make frequent customers or regularly introduce new flavors.
“What is the capacity of a shampoo bottle?” seems like an easy question to answer. All we need to do is to read the label out of the can.
However, we have illustrated the process of finding the ultimately optimal volume for each shampoo bottle, which would fit everyone’s needs for shampoo, and satisfy as many customers as possible. We hope you had a great time and see you in the next ones!