To anyone who has ever taken a shower, you must sometimes have got some shampoo to your eyes. Then, have you ever wondered if you can go blind when you get shampoo into your eyes? This article will answer that question with explanations about shampoo’s substances and what they do to the eyes.
Can you go blind if you get shampoo in your eyes?
Basically, you can not go blind if you accidentally get shampoo in your eyes. When shampoo gets into your eyes, this is what will happen:
- The eyes trigger the reactions when they detect the alien object called shampoo
- The eyes will automatically close, tears will be running, and your body will go back a few steps
- Tears will keep running until the stress feeling stops, or the eyes run out of tears
You should be careful. Because in some rare situations, people with allergies or preexisting conditions might suffer from some minor or rarely major damage from soap and other shampoo ingredients.
How do we get the shampoo out of our eyes?
These are the steps to protect your eyes from being damaged or infected after shampoo getting in. Follow these strictly if you feel stressed in the eyes due to the detergents:
- Immediately rinse your eyes with clean water from the tap for 15 minutes straight.
- After the stress in your eyes is gone, proceed to the next step. If it’s still stressful in your eyes, keep rinsing water.
- Check for any infection or damage to the eyes, both inside and outside.
- Call the doctor if you notice anything strange about your eyes. Otherwise, you should let your eyes rest for some time.
Read more: What To Do If I Got Shampoo In My Eye?
In what cases when shampoo can do permanent damage to the eyes?
Note that the information below is for the purpose of referencing only. In case you don’t feel any better if you have followed all the steps, you need to go to the hospital to see a doctor for further treatment.
Your eyes can be damaged permanently when they come in contact with shampoo if they fall into one of these situations:
- You’ve just been through eye surgery and your eyes aren’t fully recovered yet
- Your eyes are allergic to one or more of the ingredients in the shampoo you’re using
- You have preexisting conditions or infection in your eyes
- The shampoo is toxic and not recommended to be used on humans, babies…
- You use too much shampoo (read more about how much shampoo should you use), or you have rinsed all of it out of your eyes
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I consult a doctor if shampoo gets into your eyes?
It is always recommended to consult a doctor when shampoo gets into your eyes, especially when you feel unstoppable pain or stress throughout the day. Use medicine and other care medications for your eyes if your doctor asks.
What substances in shampoo make your eyes feel stressed?
The most dangerous substance of shampoo is the detergents. The detergents are responsible for cleaning, and most of the time, the detergents here are soap.
Soap has pH higher than normal water and your eyes’ moisture. Therefore, if the detergents get into your eyes, it would 99.99% of the time cause your eyes to be stressed.
If you don’t feel the stress in your eyes, your shampoo might not contain soap or might be designed for babies.
How do you know if you’re allergic to shampoo?
To know if you’re allergic to shampoo, you have to ask your doctor for help. If needed, you might have to take several tests to find out whether or not you’re allergic.
These are the symptoms for you to know if you’re allergic to some specific shampoo:
- Your eyes or your skin feel extremely stressed when coming in contact with the soap.
- You get infections, rash, or bleeding after using. The symptoms can last for a week.
- You have vision impairment after taking showers
If you’re using a type of shampoo for a long time and it feels well, don’t switch if you don’t need to.
After rinsing, I still feel stressed in the eyes?
If the situation lasts for longer than a few hours, it is recommended that your doctor be called immediately. Not consulting your doctor might result in permanent damage to the most important part of your body.
Today, we answered the question “Can you go blind if you get shampoo in your eyes?”. Although getting some shampoo into your eyes seems to be fine most of the time, you should try to avoid it whenever you can. We hope the information below helped you understand better about the problem and have your own answer to your situations.
See also: What Happens If You Drink Shampoo?